Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

World Cup Special

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What happened…did everyone stop caring about the games, or was it my Brazilian crackead ranting that killed the mood

And on that note, i’ll pick Brazil to finally get eliminated, once again, this time Frenchy gets the honours

It’s actually looking like a nice game, France matches up against them better than anyone else left, especially in experience, so i’m giving them a good shot to spring the upset

And, since i’m feeling immortal still after yet another glorious day of perfect picking today, i’m gonna take Portugal to knock out England

It’s gonna be tough, Portugal is missing some key players right across the midfield, but i like the way they play, i think the way they play is nicer to watch and more effective, so they will give England a bunch of trouble in this game…at full strength i would take Portugal to win easy in here, but this game will not be easy, for anyone

Takin the 2 dogs and seein what happens…good odds on good teams that are playing well is always a winning formula

What is funny is that i am in the major minority here where i am, English and Brazilian flags are surrounding me, yet i manage to find myself in France and Portugal land up in my head when i look at these games…my neighbours aren’t gonna like me at all when i start cheering France and Portugal, guys on the left of me are English, and neighbours to the right are Brazilian…they got their little flaggy’s hanging off their cars, honking their horns like a bunch of spazzes the past 2 weeks…

Just in case i am wrong, this analysis of the Italy/Ukraine game exempts me from any criticism…i was just admiring that, along with Italy’s performance today…would you believe i actually bet the final score would be 3-0 for Italy of all things, sometimes you can just do no wrong…

I expect a different Italy team next time out…Italy is 2 wins away from the finals, no more holding back, it’s gonna be a rout, Italy by 2-3 goals, maybe more…they got their “stupid” game out of the way today

Ukraine has yet to score on a decent team, never mind a team like Italy…unless somebody considers Saudi Arabia and Tunisia decent(then you have serious problems)…they will not score on Italy either

I thought the Ukraine benefited a lot today from playing those 2 crappers i just mentioned, they had more legs today…i thought the game Switzerland played vs Korea took a lot out of them and it showed today, having lost their best player in that one and having to play hard til the end…they looked a bit gassed today

That won’t be the case against Italy…this will be Italy’s easiest game by far in this tournament

They have played twice…Italy won both games, 2-0, 3-1

Italy will come out strong and put this baby to rest early…Italy is the ultimate heartbreaker for these dreamers…because when you play them, they let you play, and you have chances, and the games are usually close…but in the end you lose…and its much more painful than the other top teams who put you out of your misery early

When i say put this baby to rest, that means one goal, and that’s all they’re gonna need…then they’ll let the Ukraines run at them thinking all we need is one goal, and create the illusion that they might get it…but the tank will hit empty for Ukraine, and then Italy will pound them at will near the end.

It’s quite demoralizing actually

I know these guys…believe me, i know when they’ll throw in a stinker, and when they’ll hit the gas…i thinked i’ve called all their games perfectly for over a decade…they come out like a Ferrari against the Ukraine…they know in their heads that they can’t lose to the Ukraine, they know Sevchenko, they know what to expect…and they are coming in on a major high

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinkin Germany looks strong physically, but Italy is pretty slick, they always find a way to win, its their gift

I’m thinking Italy will outfox them, in typical Italian style, right at home too

Totti is coming into form, the big man Toni is starting to score, Cannavaro is a one man wrecking ball on defense, and the defense will be at full strength for Germany, Camorenesi is feelin good, he’s not bad…Any one of those guys on Italy can go on a run and score, even on defense, like buddy against Australia, they take turns puttin the moves on you, its a deadly skill to have, means they can score on anybody

Germany will have a tough time trying to score, nobody has done it yet, i can see another blank coming

It’s kinda funny, but you really gotta appreciate the way Italy is winning, they have a nice bag of tricks, theyre winning by using their heads, Germany is winning with their legs, and that stategy never works against Italy, that’s why Italy has never lost to Germany in World Cup or Euro Cup in 6 games between them, Italy knows they play ball better, and Germany has gotta be worried after just barely getting by Argentina

I’m giving Italy a good shot to win here at nice odds, theyre playing really good, and feelin really good, just starting to roll, Germany is finding it harder and harder to win, this will be a tight game, its gonna take something nice to beat these 2 goalies

My thoughts on the game…

Italy’s got those Satanic powers going good, making the refs see what they want them to see, devil power hypnosis, and the invisible wall on their goaline, the ball just doesn’t wanna go in Italy’s net, the only way it goes in is if Italy puts it in there, it’s really weird, the wall behind Buffon is putting up a clinic

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinkin Germany looks strong physically, but Italy is pretty slick, they always find a way to win, its their gift

I’m thinking Italy will outfox them, in typical Italian style, right at home too

Gonna have to go with Germany on this one. I thought Germany played a less than great game today against Argentina even though they got the decision. They will make the needed adjustments. Italy has a hot goal keeper, no doubt, but I think Germany will win the war of attrition. Keep coming at Italy and force a defensive breakdown.

Plus – dont see Italy getting the calls on “ghost” infractions this game…

Agree with Portugal over England – England have a history of underachieving at the Worlds, with a few exceptions, the Portugese team are hungrier for it I think.

France vs Brazil – depends on which French team shows up – they havent shown great consistency in their game thus far but if they are on, could be a French victory. That being said, I go with Brazil, not really sure why, just feels right…lol

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wrong about France vs Brazil… but oddly happy about the outcome.

The French team is impressing me more and more…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh

Viva La France

I just hit the mint

The score of a lifetime today

I love it when things go according to plan

:happydanc :shots: :happydanc

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kevin-you wouldnt believe what i just cashed

i got the “finalists” market cornered at betfair…i took 4 combos…france/germany…france/italy…germany/portugal…italy/portugal…and i took them way back at over 100-1 odds each…what a blast

and i got portugal at 30-1 and france at 25-1 going still…gonna hedge that, and put the bulk on Frenchy

and i just hit some massive parlays 4 and 5 game parlays, not to mention the flat bets on both France and Portugal to go through

it’s really good, been doin some nice pickin, deserved the big payday today

on my site, back in 2005, i put up frenchy winning this thing, its still up there…i dont know though, i think they reach the finals, but that game could be trouble with either italy or germany…but we’ll see…i need to relax…i get carried away with my handicapping

but i was right about Brazil being weak on the right side of their defense, Frenchy took it to em all game long up there, and the Brazil players having to clutch and grab cuz they are too slow, its exactly what i said, only a matter of time til they were exposed, and today was the day

France is the better team, thats all

Anonymous
    Inactive

For the love of Zeus I wish Greece would make it to the World Cup. My favorite was Brazil, but then my picks never win. Congrats Nick I think you are picking them good. greek39

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Greek…i think i’m pickin em a bit more than good, but i am biased

I also turn into an arrogant know it all ahole on these occassions…which is good for me, bad for everyone else

As for your team, Greece, dont worry, they’ll go down in history as the cheapest team to ever win the Euro Cup…:woo-hoo:

I’m just workin on you…during that tourney in 2004, i bet every Italian guy i could find that Greece would go farther in the tourney than Italy…they were lining up with money laughing at me…now i have no more Italian buddies…took em to school on that one…one of the happiest moments was watching Greece win that tourney, i was in Greece in 2004 just before that, oddly staying at a hotel with a Greek soccer team, playing ball in the lobby…i thought i was gonna wow em with my skills, but i kept saying to myself, holy crap, the Greeks learned how to play ball…life is funny

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats too funny Nick. It always seems the Greeks will pull through if they feel like their in the mood. I think they have other things on their minds most of the time. They are getting better, I remember watching the Euro cup in 2004.
    I was shocked that they actually won!! maybe it was “hey fellas can we concentrate on this one it is the Euro Cup?”.

To funny! greek39

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats Nick you are most definitely hitting your picks very well!

Regarding my selection for France vs Brazil, like I said, it depends on which French team shows up, should have figured they would have played a good game today. It seemed to me that Ronaldino and company didnt play with any zest, no fire in their guts so to speak. On the other hand, Zidane played like he still loved the game even though he came from retirement for this effort. The French looked great today, one of the most impressive games I’ve seen played so far.

I was doing pretty good with my picks to this point, was even hitting the scores right on some key match-ups.

Am happy to hear you are cleaning up at the books with your selections.

The semi’s should be good games and my selections are…

Germany over Italy
    France over Portugal

Finals – Germany over France… Go Deutschland!

lol… win or lose, it will be some good games.

PS – Nick, you do any capping for euro league play at all?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I gotta say, Frenchy was brlliant today…Zidane will be remembered for what he did today, this was the greatest thing he ever did for his country, i couldn’t believe my eyes, nobody on the field could either, what an absolute freak of a man…nobody has ever made Brazil look so stupid…Ronaldinho was looking for a place to hide out there…what class Zidane is

Frenchy is the real champ in the soccer world…that coach too, Domenech, what a great visionary he is, he reads the game unbelievably well, like myself when i handicap a game, except he has to adjust strategy while the game is going on, but he saw the same weaknesses i saw in Brazil, and took advantage of them, not a lot of coaches have the balls that he has, he is all instinct, nothing gets done by the book

I like this move today…Frenchy is up 1-0 with 15 minutes left in the game…what would most coaches do in that situation…sub in defensive players like Argentina did against Germany and try to hold on…yeah, thats what most coaches would do…what does Frenchy do…throws in 3 forwards to go for the kill…pure genius…he is really on the ball

Barthez and that defense is sharp, nothing gets through there, they completely dummied Brazil…here’s a little trivia…when was the last time Brazil got shutout in the World Cup, and who shutout them out…the answer is, Frenchy in 98 World Cup final, almost 8 years to the day

France’s record against Portugal…4 games played, 4 wins for France…combine that with the fact they just beat 2 very similar playing style teams in Brazil and Spain, and things don’t look good for Portugal…its also important to remember that France is the only team left with Champions on their roster, so they have a big advantage over the other teams in experience, and they are playing like champs too

As for Italy and Germany

Assuming the game will be fairly officiated…

You gotta give Italy a big shot in here…if anybody can break the Germans mentally, it’s Giusseppe, he can be irritating as hell…

Germany goes into this game at a disadvantage…

1-They are playing at home, and some would consider this their greatest advantage, but it also means that expectation and pressure on the them is high.

2-Germany has faded slightly as this tournament has gone on, Italy has just hit their best stride.

3-Germany has beaten Italy 0 times in 6 games in international competition, not including friendlies, but they did play a friendly just a few weeks ago, before this tourney started, and Italy smoked em 4-1

4-Italy again find themselves in a position where they play an opponent they know they can beat, and Italy is feeling good about their chances of winning this tournament, and their defense is at full strength, and players are well rested after the easy Ukraine game, while Germany had to battle hard to get by Argentina

5-Klinsman as a coach hasn’t done much, he’s a bit unproven, although doing well so far…but as the games get more and more difficult, the strategy and tactics of the coach come into play, and Lippi from Italy really knows his stuff

Now before this tourney started i said Germany is the team to beat and should be the favourite playing at home, runner up in the last World Cup, winningest soccer nation in Europe all time, etc, etc…but Italy looks like they can do a number on Germany in here as this thing unfolds

Its looking like an Italy/France final, they are playing the best ball at the moment and feeling really confident

Anonymous
    Inactive

Totally agree with your opinions on the French team – freakish talent in Zidane, unorthodox but brilliant coach etc. etc. etc.

On to the Germany vs Italy match up: (note – my opinions are probably shit but I’ll make them anyways…:eh: ).

1) The Germans seem to thrive on, not crack under pressure

2) I agree the Germans faded against Argentina but dont see this as a trend. They were sloppy on defence against Costa Rica, worked hard without the scoring prowess against Poland, played great front and back against Equador & Sweden. Still thinking that Klinsmann has the soccer knowledge to see problems they may face with Italy and get the squad adjusted for it.

3) Germany’s performance in non-world cup matches never parallels its world cup peformances. They had qualifying troubles for the last one and made it to the finals – the Germans have a history of overachieving at the world cup.

4) Italian confidence in their chances could be an advantage or disadvantage. True they have more rest due to less challenging games – but, and this is a big but – both of these factors can be as much a disadvantage as an advantage. I was concerned about Germany meeting Argentia after having such an easy time with Sweden – Argentina on the other hand had a war with Mexico. Having a less than competitive match can get the team off the edge they need to win.

5) Klinsmann does lack experience as a coach, this is true. But tactically, he has proven himself worthy thus far. Plus, he has balls. He stepped into the job of coaching the current team when it seemed no one else wanted to, then he goes one further and pretty much re-defines how the squad should play. Just because a coach has less experience doesnt necessariy mean they are not as good, although this may be more true than not.

PS – Happy Canada Day!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, we’re gettin into the game now

My first pick was a Germany/France final, and i bet that first, but something has happened recently to change my mind and make me lean towards Italy

I only focus on what i think will happen in the game and try to envision it in my mind, nothing else really matters that much, but i consider it if it is strongly in favour of one team

And in this game, i see Germany having a lot of trouble scoring, they can’t attack Italy and outrun them like you’re thinking, Italy has way too much experience, especially on defense…i see something similar to the France/Brazil game, with Italy being France, and Germany being Brazil…it is a similar scenario, Germany the favourite, and having the reputation and history, like Brazil did, and Italy the crafty little team with experience and a sharp defense coming in on a roll

Totti is a gifted player and could do a Zidane impersonation in this one, while Ballack left the field limping last game

The rest of the midfield looks like this, Italy has Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Zambrotta, (Italy plays 5 in the midfield a lot of the time, with only 1 forward), Germany has Frings, Schneider, Schweinsteiger…you can cancel them out and say they are equivalent, but Schweinsteiger and Schneider were pulled vs Argentina because they weren’t playing well, and their subs Okondor and Borowski came in and made the difference and saved Germany…so based on that i would have to acknowledge Italy is more solid in the midfield at the moment, on the bench they got Del Pierro, Perrotta if needed

Up front, Germany has 2 hot strikers carrying them, Klose and Podolski, Italy has been using different strikers every game, so they are all well rested, and all 4 of them have scored already, Toni, Gilardino, Iacquinta, Inzaghi…they say that the Italian league is the toughest to score in because of the great defenses, but Toni just broke the goal scoring record this year in the Italian league…i won’t give anyone the advantage here because i was a striker and know that any team with a hot striker can win, even an average team, Germany’s strikers have been hot right from the start of this tourney, Italy’s strike force can get hot real fast, like Toni scoring 2 goals in 5 minutes in the last game

On defense i give Italy the edge, nobody has scored on them yet, while Germany’s defense gave up the lead vs Argentina last time out(never a good thing), and even let lowly Costa Rica put a couple by them…the teams that they managed to shut down had nowhere near the class of Italy…they shut out Poland who had no offense at any point in this tourney, they shut down Ecuador who were playing all their subs having already qualified, and they shut down a broken Ibrahimovic and off form Larsson who were invisible throughout this tourney and who couldn’t even score on Trinidad with an extra player for over 45 minutes…Italy will be a very similar challenge to Argentina, except Italy don’t go around blowing leads, Germany was a bit lucky to get by last game against Argentina, but nobody ever outlucks Italy

Cannavaro, Nesta, Materazzi, Grosso, those guys are tight, wouldnt wanna play poker against them, they wouldn’t give up a penny

Metzelder and Lahm i like, but they are so young and inexperienced, same with the rest of their defense, Nowotny, Mertesacker, Friedrich, you know Italy is gonna burn them for a few, they couldn’t shut down Argentina when it mattered last game, Italy is even more deadly up front at the moment with 4 scoring horses to choose from

In net, both goalies are playing good, and both teams have great backup goalies, somebody’s gonna have to score a quality goal to beat them

Italy has the experience edge, they are older and wiser, and coming into this game in great shape physically, all well rested and very confidant, relatively free of injury too

But the killer is this, and you can’t ignore it…Italy own Germany, they have never lost to them in 6 matches…they have knocked Germany out of 2 World Cups, 82 final, 70 semi final…i think they do it again, they look just a bit better, Germany does not have one single advantage on Italy, except that they are playing at home and that the ref might help them because of that

Don’t be surprised if Italy win 2-0 here

As for the Happy Canada Day…same to you man…its actually my birthday tomorrow, born right there along with Canada and America

I think maybe we’ll do this again for the Champions League

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Kevin, i got you worried with that prediction, i can tell, i know you are pulling for Germany

Funny thing is…i was made in Germany, my father was playing in the Bundesliga just before i was born, and i drive a BMW(although i used to have an Alfa Romeo, now eyeing a Ferrari of course)

But i never let anything influence my judgement…just look at every team as A and B, and analize how they’re playing, who cares if they’re called Brazil, or whatever, it means nothing

The truth is…it is more likely that Italy will win this game(in my eyes)…it won’t make any difference to me financially, i already got mine by picking the final four, so i don’t really care who wins, but Italy looks stronger to me

The interesting thing is…i know Germany is the favourite, and playing at home, but i would be surprised if they can beat Italy, but for some reason, if Italy win this game, it would not surprise me at all

If you know what i mean

About the comments i made regarding Italy breaking Germany mentally, and Germany being at a disadvantage because of the pressure and all that stuff…most of the time you would be right about Germany being mentally strong and thriving under the pressure, i feel that way too about them, except in this case…Italy can frustrate their opponents better than anyone, just look how angry they made the Aussies…so imagine this scenario unfolding, as it will likely happen…Germany attacks, but cannot score, and they keep doing it, and still cant score, as the game goes on they become increasingly more frustrated, and the fans become restless, and this builds on their mind as the game wears on, and as they become more tired physically, the mind soon follows, and this causes lapses in concentration, etc…

I’ve seen this happen so many times to a team

Italy play smart and put themselves in an advantageous position, they control the game like a fighter controls the ring…the only way for Germany to take control of this game is to score a couple of early goals and force the game to open up, but thats not gonna happen

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Nick – your posts again have some very valid points, and frankly, I can’t come anywhere close to you with soccer knowledge so I won’t even attempt to get that specific in debating things.

You certainly read me well, yes I am going for Germany. This is partially a sentimental vote due to my German roots, and, I do see Germany as the best overall team in the tournament. Havent checked the lastest stats, but prior to meeting Argentina, I thought they had the best numbers for pass completions, possession, winning 1 on 1 defensive battles etc.

If Italy wins, it would not be a huge suprise for me either. If any team left at this point wins a game it would not be a huge suprise. At this stage of the competition, any team left has a real chance of winning. That being said, from what I’ve seen from both teams thus far, I think Germany is the better team.

On to my thoughts about somewhat more specific stuff:

You made a good point about Germany really needing a couple quick goals to get the mental edge here. I was thinking the exact same thing and wouldnt be suprised to see a different starting lineup. If it was me, I would start Odonker as his speed can cause problems for any team, especially if they can flank Italy and get some nice early crosses in. Would also consider putting Neuville into the mix early as well – he’s a crafty little player. Then, if Germany gets an early lead would pull Lahm – I think he can be too careless at times.

Midfield also cause me some concern against Italy – I don’t really see Ballack meeting full expectations as arguably one of the best mid-fielders in the world. No offence to his talents, but Germany might do better if they put less reliance on him to be the key play maker.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the probable outcome of this match up.

Looking forward to the game and regardless of the outcome, it should be an interesting game.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)