Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

WordPress

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    aaronsmith

I am thinking of using wordpress for editing my site and adding content what do you think of wordpress?

vladcizsol

Great for blogging. Crappy and clumsy as a CMS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That a nice and succinct answer, prof. WordPress has some nice seo functions.

Any opinion on what a good cms is – preferably free? I’m using drupal at the mo but it’s a bit clunky.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i use wordpress for all may blog sites. it’s very popular software, used by lot’s of “important” bloggers.

But like prof said, it’s buggy. It’s slow, it’s insecure, the password for the database connection is kept in the live website root directory, etc. There was an “injection bug” that someone used to hack and mess up my site.

but you can’t beat the price and the amount knowledge available on boards, etc. for using/maintaining it.

supervince

I use wordpress for a lot of websites. I like it and the search engines love it.

But like prof said, it’s buggy. It’s slow, it’s insecure, the password for the database connection is kept in the live website root directory, etc. There was an “injection bug” that someone used to hack and mess up my site.

Thats the way all database connections are. I didn’t know they had an injection bug but that has nothing to do with the password in that file just bad coding. SQL Injection is when someone enters sql queries into a form (such as a login form).

star

i think it can be used as a good CMS but would cost a lot to be coded thoroughly for a CMS as opposed to a blogging platform.

I rarely see it used 100% successfully as CMS, although it has very nice SEO features which outweigh the use of an alternative CMS such as joomla.

aaronsmith

Ok what do you recommend for me as a cms for my site which is in css and php, I dont know anything about html etc I just need to be able to update banners and content regularly to my site.

star

I would suggest Joomla, with a few mods.

Custom cms’s can be made for as low as $100 or so, for a simple one.

Most cms’s will have mod’s to easily rotate banners.

supervince

Site Build It is a great cms and extremely popular but Im not sure if they support php.

supervince

Also if you go with wordpress, they have a phpAdsNew plugin for banner rotations and geo targeting.

PatrickM

@Professor 131435 wrote:

Great for blogging. Crappy and clumsy as a CMS.

I think it’s an awesome, albeit simple CMS. If anyone needs tips for using it let me know.

WordPress is totally “theme-able” and super hackable, secure and most importantly, open source. It is MEGA MECHA SEO friendly and I love it. I am actually in the middle of setting up a community or two with it. We also serve our company blog with WordPress.

I <3 it a lot, there isn’t anything you can’t do with it, it has so many cool plugins, themes, hacks, etc.

PatrickM

@AmCan 131439 wrote:

i use wordpress for all may blog sites. it’s very popular software, used by lot’s of “important” bloggers.

but you can’t beat the price and the amount knowledge available on boards, etc. for using/maintaining it.

What bugs? And what version are you using? Anywhere near 2.2.1?

You gotta keep on top of upgrades, of course, having Fantastico in your cpanel helps ;)

PatrickM

@haynesey 131560 wrote:

i think it can be used as a good CMS but would cost a lot to be coded thoroughly for a CMS as opposed to a blogging platform.

I rarely see it used 100% successfully as CMS, although it has very nice SEO features which outweigh the use of an alternative CMS such as joomla.

Cost a lot? To “hack” and toss some well documented templating functions around? NO WAY!

It’s easy, you learn a little PHP and join wordpress.org forums. DIY site hacking :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I integrated wordpress fully in my site, and I’m very glad of using it. I think it’s one of the best ways to gather all information in one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, agreed – WordPress is awesome, has a ton of hacks and if you can’t get it to do exactly what you want… there are about 10000 people you can hire to do what you want for about $50 :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)