Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

What would you do?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK so… I will try to make this short and sweet..

Had a guy call me a couple of weeks ago who wants to be an aff. Has no idea about the internet.. Thinks that he should be buying our domains from somewhere (has no idea what a domain is). Pretty painful, but I’ve tried helping him as much as I can.
    In the end, after explaining in as much detail as I could that he would need to choose his own domain (after explaining about 3 times what this is) and that he could make his own site, or have someone else make it, which I would recommend, I referred him to Kundan to talk about getting a website made.

Told Kundan to be patient etc..

Next thing you know I get an email from Kundan who has tried getting the usual information from the guy about the site:

1) Domain Name =
    2) Do you need Logo or not ? If yes what kind of Logo: Text Based or Image Based Logo??
    3) Color Combinations/preferances?
    4) Your Liking/Competitors site?
    5) If you have any specific layout in mind? for ex: 2 coulmn or 3 coulmn layout?
    6) Any other things that should be considerd while making the template?
    7) Price and mode of payment: Paypal/ Neteller / MoneyBookers/ EcoCard
    8) Time frame (in days)
    9) Where to send the mockup when its ready?

The ‘aff’ has written to Kundan telling him that he will be able to get that information from me… So Kundan is writing to me asking me for it…

Now, obviously this has nothing to do with Kundan, he is doing his job… so I’m curious how you would respond…

Obviously this guy is starting to be a huge waste of my time. And I wouldn’t normally give up like this, but every time this guy calls me it’s at least 1 hour of my time on the phone, and I can’t understand him either, because he has no teeth. I’m constantly asking him to repeat himself. And most of the time he is telling me the same thing he told me 5 minutes ago.
    To tell him I have to run to a meeting means sitting on the phone for another half hour trying to get rid of him.

So what would you do? How do you tell someone that they are just not suited to this stuff? :Cry:

poluroud20

Tought one Renee – obviously you have tried very hard to give this person some advice.

If the person doesn’t understand it, there is really nothing you can do.

I would tell that person straight, but that is me (I would be gentle too).

Zlzmbmax

Agreed.

If you don’t make the break now, it won’t get any easier. “It’s not you…, it’s ME” is a phrase that I’ve found particularly useful down the years.

Seriously though, it’s all very well holding hands but if the guy wants to be an affiliate at some point he’s going to have to learn about all this stuff anyway. Better now rather than later.

May not seem like it but you’re actually doing him the biggest favour by cutting him loose.

Zlzmbmax

BTW, Chris….

That’s a KILLER signature you got on your posts, there! :roflmao:

Anonymous
    Inactive

@HodgeyBoy 181651 wrote:

BTW, Chris….

That’s a KILLER signature you got on your posts, there! :roflmao:

Oi!

Stop derailing my thread with your voting stuff… :tongue:

Zlzmbmax

Ah, he’s changed his signature since this morning…, it didn’t say that when I posted!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah yeah…

Anyway, so I decided to email Kundan back and tell him the affiliate needs to answer the questions.. Apparently the affiliate told Kundan that I will answer the questions… :Cry:

So the aff calls yesterday, Helene answers the phone coz she doesn’t know… She said he was rather irate asking who she was etc… Being French herself, she said she couldn’t understand a word.. Then he started asking about web design and she just couldn’t help him and told him it would be easier to email.

He called back again 15 minutes later. No answer this time around.

So I’m going to have a talk to Kundan and explain to him..if he wants the business he will have to work with the guy… but I’m taking your advice Chris (and Mr Ring Stinger)…

Wish me luck! (and thanks for the help)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update: Looks like I got rid of him :)

… For now. :devil:

Looks like I am a bit late here :) Just found this section now that StarPartner’s quiet
    for a change and had the time to scroll down :)

Like Chris said that a toughie, you don’t want to chase him away just because he
    lacks the expierience. I am glad that things didn’t go seriously wrong for you with
    that guy/girl, I’m sure you must have over medicated yourself after your initial
    contact and I am sure many hours on the phone.

If I can make a suggestion, I have on many occasions recommended to anyone that
    wanted to become an affiliate to go and do some research first and get them to
    familarise themselves with the entire process before taking on the challenge.

There is just so much jargon and technical terms that they need to wrap their head
    around to which will only fuel their eventual frustrations if they don’t spend some
    time researching what it means to be an affiliate and the various online marketing
    mediums that are available in being an affiliate.

I applied this same approach previously to anyone that wanted to buy stocks
    and I can’t say that the results were poor.

That’s just my 5 cents worth….. :)

poluroud20

Some affiliates are worth helping – I had an affiliate who brought in players via poker clubs (word of mouth etc).

Our designer made him a site, and he learned SEO, HTML etc etc. Now’s he’s pretty big and making 5 figures every month.

He took 2 years to learn it all but it’s worth it as I always get prime exposure on his sites due to helping him out.

I have had a handful of affiliates who have pestered me till the cows came home – I have learned just to be quite blunt now as I don’t have the time to basically run an affiliate site for them (I might as well do it myself!).

Well done on sorting it Renee, the guy will either give up now or educate himself (the latter being preferred obviously). Sometimes being cruel (I definte cruel here as subtle letting down) to be kind is better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Chris – AffiliateClub.com 183045 wrote:

Some affiliates are worth helping – I had an affiliate who brought in players via poker clubs (word of mouth etc).

Our designer made him a site, and he learned SEO, HTML etc etc. Now’s he’s pretty big and making 5 figures every month.

He took 2 years to learn it all but it’s worth it as I always get prime exposure on his sites due to helping him out.

I have had a handful of affiliates who have pestered me till the cows came home – I have learned just to be quite blunt now as I don’t have the time to basically run an affiliate site for them (I might as well do it myself!).

Well done on sorting it Renee, the guy will either give up now or educate himself (the latter being preferred obviously). Sometimes being cruel (I definte cruel here as subtle letting down) to be kind is better.

I’m going to have to eat my words here…. didnt get rid of him at all.. he tried calling me again yesterday.

OK so, Star Partner – gave him so much info that it was coming out my ears, so no lack on that part.. The guy has parkinsons, so when I told him to join CAP, he said he couldn’t because it takes him far too long to type. This was also the answer when I told him that instant messenger might be a better option to chat because I was having trouble understanding him… In my last email I also told him if he needs any more info to email me rather than call as I am rarely at my desk.

So ignoring all that he has still tried calling..

Chris – I think you know when you start talking to someone if they have the capability to do this or not.. I really dont think this guy does.. Unfortunately i think its because of his disability and the fact that he is relying far too much on me and others to “do it for him” rather than doing it himself.

You can only lead a horse to water – you can’t make him drink, as they say.

I’m pretty satisfied to put this one in the ‘not going to happen’ pile though…

Star Partner – I will happily give him your phone number if you want to try to help him :roflmao:

Eish! – I really feel for the guy. I don’t think that he should be doing this on his own
    then, if the poor guy struggles to type and what not. Shame man. I’m thinking of
    a triumph over adversity here but if he is going to do this seriously he needs
    someone to help him interact with the affiliate community.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Star Partner 183173 wrote:

Eish! – I really feel for the guy. I don’t think that he should be doing this on his own then, if the poor guy struggles to type and what not. Shame man. I’m thinking of
    a triumph over adversity here but if he is going to do this seriously he needs
    someone to help him interact with the affiliate community.

Definitely agreed… You wanna volunteer? I can give him your number if you want? :tongue:

Yeah sure why not I wouldn’t mind but give him my email not my number. :) Can’t spend to much time on the phone with the guy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)