Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Using CMS’s for your site

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i much prefer CMS systems as they make adding pages and editing them so easy and quick and you never have to worry about messing up the code etc.
    I can move chunks/parts of the page up and down by just clicking an arrow which is easier then adjusting the code etc in dreamweaver.
    Its fully SEO compatible with a simple mod rewrite and like someone else said before, its good if you have staff or want people to work on the site directly as you can give admins limited access.

When i post a review or something in the reviews section, it will update other parts of my site etc which i like.

However there are loads more upsides, but it can be very expensive, mine is in almost constant development over the last year and i would say ive spent about $15k on it. Any time i want an adjustment it costs me lots of $$$, but with it being customised for my needs, it makes running the so so so much easier.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Rob472 131854 wrote:

I use wordpress for a lot of websites. Its easy to use and completely customizable. There are a ton of free plugins out there to do almost anything you need to do and when I need something specific that I cant find a plugin for I just write my own plugin. It took me about 5 minutes to learn how to create custom wordpress plugins and widgets.

Word press is awesome! i use it on many of my sites too! Search engines love to grab it up!

voodooman
    Rob472;132463 wrote:
    The css is a mess. There was someone else on the forum whose css looked just like that. Cant remember who now but they didnt like it and I dont blame them. Using class names such as .fsx01 and id names such as #Oobj206 is just dumb because its not meaningful and makes it hard to find the right lines to edit when you need to make changes. Also the structure is completely jacked up. I’m not trying to mock your website so sorry if you take it that way. I just think those auto generators suck and you will never get the rankings that you could get if you learned to properly code and structure your layout yourself.

I understand what you are saying. I never studied IT at university and every thing I know I have learnt by trial and error and reading up stuff. My point for that website has been achieved: Google search position of 6 out of a possible 2,660,000 aint bad. That is my primary business this is secondary.

Wish I could program like you Folks though. :hattip:

yellar

I am a big Joomla fan, all my sites use this CMS.

You can see my sites in my sig and they do not look like your basic CMS template.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’ve only used one CMS, Joomla!.

Bloody great for me. joomla.org forums were very helpful too when i came to a problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve always used dreamweaver. About one month ago, I decided to try Joomla. I am hooked. So much easier especially if you are one that spends day and night working on sites. Using a CMS WILL save you alot of time so that you can focus on marketing.

There are also so many extensions, plugins, mods, etc. I just recently installed a search engine friendly mod that doesn’t require using an .htaccess for URL rewriting. Theres mods for tags/clouds and just about anything you can think of. If a bit of tweaking needs to be done, everything can be tweaked and if you need help, the forums are there. I am totally amazed at all the features and sorry that I didn’t stumble on this sooner.

biggyg

We are also in process of changing all our websites to CMS.Saves alot of time and money ,would definitely recommend it!

BDS329

Thats where I’m trying to go with my developing site.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is the downside to using a CMS-like platform such as WordPress in developing a site? Are there any downsides?

Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Xaraya CMS. It’s probably the best featured and flexible CMS, although it is quite difficult to start with. It’s the 3rd year now using Xaraya and everyday I learn something new.

I think all is search engine friendly with it, and it’s flexible enough to do anything. Updating the site is easier than using any simple html with an editor. For a large website, I think a CMS is the way to go. For a 6-10 page website or less, maybe going with a CMS is only the best way, if you know well the CMS you’re using, otherwise you will spend 99% of your time understanding the CMS instead of developing content.

If you want to take a look at Xaraya running, look at my website sharpgambler.com

neophyte

this is an interesting thread..

@ewhitaker 138005 wrote:

I decided to try Joomla. I am hooked

most ppl don’t actually need a cms, glad u like joomla. It is sh*t in so many ways, and good in many too.. I hope you have hacked it to remove the default tables for layout though!

@Focal 140016 wrote:

What is the downside to using a CMS-like platform such as WordPress in developing a site? Are there any downsides?
    Mark

There are a few downsides, but plugins are available that give you 100% control so as to counteract most these downsides (e.g SEO plugins and the like)..

personally I prefer using my own simple custom CMSs, as they have less junk/overheads than many off the shelf, and obv are seo friendly to the max..

Before you jump into a cms it’s defo a good idea to check out the pros and cons and decide if you REALLY REALLY need one.. if you use css / xhtml and your site is <50 pages, you generally shouldn't really need a cms.. any big changes can be applied to stylesheets and any includes if the sites are designed by someone with a brain and some web-savvy..

my .10c, (okay .20c, I rattled on a bit.. must be working too much :-s)

golda

Having a CMS is a killer way to stay consistent and make sure your linking is giving you the maximum on your SEO. The last thing you need is wasted content!

Joomla is a nice open source model.

neophyte

@gregpowell 140704 wrote:

Having a CMS is a killer way to stay consistent and make sure your linking is giving you the maximum on your SEO. The last thing you need is wasted content!

one could say that a properly designed and interlinked website would do the same.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a few sites that use CMS’s and I have a few that use wordpress, and several that are plain old html sites.

I’ve also worked with sites that use custom CMS’s in the case of custom backends, so far what i’ve seen has been great.

In the case of freebie CMS’s I haven’t found anything I much care for, or but perhaps that’s just impatience.

I find them in general to be restrictive, many basic CMS’s seem to completely leave out SEO, however you can generally find hacks and mods to solve that problem.

I haven’t given up on the concept though, in fact, i’ve just installed joomla on a real estate investing site of mine.. now i’m tearing it down and about to try phpfusion :P

So far though, I still prefer writing my own pages.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)