Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

US lawmaker to seek online gambling ban exemptions

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

WASHINGTON, June 6 (Reuters) – A Florida congressman is expected to introduce legislation on Thursday exempting poker and some other games from the Internet gambling ban passed by Congress last year, the lawmaker’s aide said on Wednesday.

The bill planned by Democratic Rep. Robert Wexler would carve out “skill games” such as online poker, bridge, chess and mahjong from the online gambling prohibition that President George W. Bush signed into law in October.

“It allows Americans to play poker online as they should have every right to do,” a Wexler spokesman, Josh Rogin said on Wednesday.

More here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP-A/idUSN0643855220070606

Best Regards,

Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting. However, I think it’s a stretch to say that poker is a “skill” game. It is to a certain extent, but I believe several courts have ruled that poker is not a skill game.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I suppose anything legalized is progress, but I am not so sure I like the excemption. Blackjack also requires skill.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Online Poker “Skill” ?? Right, typical hypocracy. Either do away with the whole UIGEA or leave it alone and let the industry recover with new processors.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am with ya John, it will recover and new processors will emerge. It is bleak right now but we will come back.

Brian

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, the more noise and the more bills the better, I think.

If it becomes a lot of public debate, I think it will be in our favor.

And yes, we will recover anyway. I would just prefer to have UIGEA repealed or overwritten.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Dominique wrote:
    Well, the more noise and the more bills the better, I think.

If it becomes a lot of public debate, I think it will be in our favor.

And yes, we will recover anyway. I would just prefer to have UIGEA repealed or overwritten.

You think??? You got it so right Dom.. That’s the plain truth.. The more noise created by articles, APCW videos, politicians references etc in regards to modifying, reversing, correcting or whatever other negative opinions regarding the UIGEA will keep the public more and more alerted to the fact that this is affecting their basic right for freedom and make it become a lot more of public debate.. this will make more politicians who need the people’s vote stand up and make things right.

It looks like things do go in a positive way now.. I do hope things will get better sooner than later.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    M.D wrote:
    It looks like things do go in a positive way now.. I do hope things will get better sooner than later.

I agree with that.

Step by step we are getting more mainstream media exposure. The WTO and EU are on our side.

A lawsuit has been filed against the DOJ ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/06/doj_sued_over_online_gambling_laws/ )

We have Frank’s bill.

We have the Wexler bill.

And at GPWA I found this:

McDermott introduces Internet Gambling Regulation and Taxation Enforcement Act

June 07, 2007
    by Ryan McLane

Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.) introduced the Internet Gambling Regulation and Taxation Enforcement Act (IGRTEA) today, just hours after Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fla.) announced he would introduce a bill amending the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA).

McDermott’s measure would create a tax regime for U.S. online gambling companies expected to generate $6-$25 billion in U.S. tax revenues in its first five years of enactment, according to the representative’s press office.

The bill is meant to serve as the tax mechanism for Rep. Barney Frank’s (D-Mass.) Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act (IGREA) and could possibly be discussed along with other U.S. Internet gambling legislation during tomorrow’s House Financial Services Committee hearing at 10 a.m.

McDermott is slated to introduce the bill on the house floor this evening, according to spokesperson Mike Decesare, but he was unable to confirm whether the legislation will officially be a part of tomorrow’s hearing proceedings.

Rep. Robert Wexler’s Skill Gaming Protection Act calls for a skill-game exemption (poker, Mah jong, chess, bridge, backgammon) to the UIGEA and the Wire Act.

The UIGEA makes it illegal for financial institutions to allow U.S. consumers to make transactions with Internet gambling companies, while the Wire Act make it illegal to make or accept sports bets using a wired communication device.

Frank’s legislation calls for replacing the UIGEA with legislation that allows Internet gambling companies to operate in the U.S. in a regulated environment. Wexler is trying to separate games of skill from games of chance.

In another attempt, Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-Nev.) introduced legislation this spring that calls for a one-year study of the effects online gambling would have on the U.S. market.

(thanks, GPWA!)

So things are definitely moving our way! :bigsmile:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)