Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Tournament Password Theft

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    captnonono90

Hi webmasters.

I started this discussion in another thread, but it was misplaced and I feel was not read . . . . . so

I am looking to research and post about affiliates / webmasters who steal tournament passwords off others and then distribute them widely to there own members. I have already ( in just 4 short weeks ) amassed a great deal of evidence on 4 forums and one blog currently active in this behavour.

I have found, in these renegade forums, hundreds of passwords – all belonging to many many forums – posted onto the internet. I have found posts and eMails containing passwords posted onto the internet. In a freeroll that i organised 2 weeks ago, there were over 300 renegade names registered for my tourney. I simply cancelled the event with moments to go. The renegade forums simply plant legitimate looking members into our forums who then simply sit and wait for a password to be released. Within 2 minutes that password is published to hoards of waiting password thieves

Despite spending 3 (THREE ) hours in live chat, on the poker site involved, setting out my utter disgust at what had transpired – nothing has happened. All they have done is paid lip service to my complaint. It appears therefore that they applaud such practises

I am interested to know, ( and collect factual info )

1. of any affiliates who have had/ are having similar experiences.

2. and more importantly, I need to know what the poker sites have done, if anything, to reprimand the offending renegades – who, I have found are webmasters for those poker sites – that openly allow the publication of stolen passwords alongside there own banners for the same poker sites.

Is anyone bothered by this ? Is it just me ? I am disgusted by it

If you wish – please PM me or eMail me to set up a confidential line of communication with specifics if you feel that it is more approprite to do so

Anonymous
    Inactive

My tournaments were specifically ladies only, sooo needless to say the ladies were pissed when the men busted in..

I complained to several poker rooms, to no avail. If someone joins with 4-5 user names, you really can’t do much about it.. unless the poker room is one of the few that does a sign up list, which is just a pain.. or agrees to ban crashers.. shady affiliates… or have some consequence..

I guess what you should be asking is, what are the poker rooms willing to do to put an end to it, especially in the case where the hosting affiliate puts up a portion of the prize pool..

captnonono90

@damiandunlap 128901 wrote:

noting.
    Some jerk on your forum, will give the password out. What you can do is if they didnt sign up in a thread, dont pay them. We do this alot. Also make your free rolls benefit your site. Person has to add content or refer people over.

Thank for your input, but i dont really want to digress from my 2 questions.

If anyone is at all bothered about this, please let me have some specific information about individulas involved and poker sites reactions to the problem

Many thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is the most annoying thing and I myself have suffered greatly from it and am still looking for an answer to the problem.
    I have found that is “most” occasions that contacting the webmaster and asking them not to display your passwords or to delete threads containing your password works.

Tips to password protection

*Give out the passwords only a couple of hours before the tournaments, this helps a bit.
    *With some poker sites you can give them a list of player names 24hours before the event and they can manually add them to the tournament. This eliminates the need for a password alltogether.
    * Make sure that if someone googles the tournament name, that a page from your site comes up top. Make it clear on that page how a player would be eligible to obtain that password and when it will be distributed. They will then not google any further for it.
    *Some poker sites can arrange a tournament so only players tracked to you cann enter, this also eliminates the need for a password.
    * Make your password unique – I once ran a tournament, logged in to distribute the password and found that 300 people had already entered. Someone had guessed the password correctly and posted it on a forum a few days before the start.

Sometimes my members report to me of people spreading the password, I have made a few posts in the forum regarding and it can be a good way of weeding out the spammers. Sometimes I find the sites myself through googling a couple of weeks later. Most of the time its foreign language sites, I have not come across a major site in English that does this, thankfully.

I have come accross a couple of forums where people have been spamming my passwords and the webmasters have worked with me and warned them of this, these forums continue however to allow people to post passwords belonging to other sites. I guess they thrive on the traffic as people visit specifically for that reason. These sites have fully cooperated with me so I will not name them.

One I will name and shame however:
    I joined this forum xhttp://www.monpoker.com recently to cotact the webmaster to ask them to stop and they ip banned me from the forum. Luckily The person who was spamming used the same name on both forums, so it was easy for me to ban him in return. I think he was a moderator.

Many of the small sites and boards I do not bother with as I know it will not have any impact on my site or take away my sign ups. I also expect maybe 50% of players to tell one other person the password through IM or face to face, but I am also ok with this.
    I have found the poker sites themselves to be generally unhelpful with the problem, at the end of the day, they are getting sign ups, they don’t care where they have come from.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is quite frustrating to say the least. TopTrump has some good suggestions for cutting down on unwanted freeroll guests, especially the posting the password a couple hours prior to the start of the tournament tip.

Sunpoker.com can also set up tournaments for only specific players. The player username and account number would need to be provided.

Also, a tournament can be set up so when that only players that accumulate a certain number of poker points can enter. This has also helped and encourages players to play.

Best Regards,

Mark

captnonono90

Thanks for your input.

I have now collected bucketfuls of passwords off half a dozen sites/

.. .. what the poker sites have done, if anything, to reprimand the offending renegades – who, I have found are webmasters for those poker sites – that openly allow the publication of stolen passwords alongside there own banners for the same poker sites.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I complained to my AM at one poker site on which I had a severe problem with password leekage. I gave him the url of the offender and he said he would deal with it. I don’t honestly think he did anything, however he stopped me from holding passworded tournaments in the future as he said they obvously were of no benefit to me or him. kinda backfired, I have since tried to solve the problems myself and not reported to the poker sites.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@capricorn 129127 wrote:

.. .. what the poker sites have done, if anything, to reprimand the offending renegades – who, I have found are webmasters for those poker sites – that openly allow the publication of stolen passwords alongside there own banners for the same poker sites.

I personally have never caught any offenders or have had an affiliate pinpoint exactly who leaked a password. I can tell you that this hasn’t happened in quite some time.

What I would do is contact the offending affiliate/webmaster and let them know that they will forfeit future earnings if it is discovered that they have leaked out another affiliate’s password without their consent.

Mark

captnonono90

Thanks Top Trump.

if you would be so kind as to PM me the Poker site name, I will research their up to date policy on this matter.

Thats good to hear Focal.

I cant actually recall seeing any Sun passwords. At the moment I am seeing
    many others. In the main they are mostly CD, Titan, Poker, Nordica, Jungle, Dream, Free2win and Everest and are anyone’s and everyone’s Private Tournies.
    If I see any Sun p/ws I shall PM you for your comment, if u wish.

– the last passworded Tourney I held – 4 days ago – I didnt release the password until 10 minutes before the start. More that 25% of the registered players were password thieves. I obviously, Now have a good deal of info on most of those renegades. One in particular, is a Forum owner. I have his player names at many sites, his IP address, his eMail address and his actual real name. When i have as much info as possible, on as many of these thieves, I shall publish the evidence. If anyone has such info – of known password thieves – please PM me in confidence. I shall then compare / add to my blacklist database. Many thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

@capricorn 129127 wrote:

Thanks for your input.

I have now collected bucketfuls of passwords off half a dozen sites/

Believe we answered that, nothing, I’ve been here a couple years.. as I said before, if you want to accomplish something, you should be discussing what they WILL do, in effort to actually change the practice.

On a side note, I’ve had games at Absolute that were double booked, meaning I set a game up for one date, and they put it in the system for two – Even I didn’t know the password, but a couple people played.

Several other games at AP that were never confirmed, I turned in a sheet to schedule them, but assumed they were ignored, because noone ever replied, sometimes they were ignored, sometimes not.. and rarely did they just cancel out empty, people played them, people that obviously didn’t get a password from me, because I do not promote a tournament until it’s confirmed.

Same with a game I forgot about at Titan, I never promoted it, never gave anyone the password, and atleast 10 people played.

captnonono90

Thank you Lady Holdem. Yes I see that you did say “they” did nothing, but to be fair, you did not specifically tell me who “they” were and when this occured. I have checked my PM box too, in case your answer is considered privilaged info.

It really is specific facts ( as in concrete evidence ) that I am hoping that webmasters and affiliates will talk to me about, as i shall not be writing about generalisations, heresay or 3rd party conversations.

i see that this forum has over 2600 active members, and hopefully over the next few weeks, specific information and evidence will be given to me for my expose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)