Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

thoughts on Barry Bonds (Nick! holler)

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi all,

seeing barry bonds on tv for breaking the home run record.

then seeing him claim this record is not tainted in any way.

personally…… i find it hard to buy when he was caught with steroids. an obvious athletic advantage … I don’t feel this point can be argued.

had not the Babe and Henry Aaron not been a chance of them using it … I don’t see how barry can claim its all fair.

yes I agree.. it comes down to talent. no getting around the fact that if it was just steroids… then there’d be a number of contenders.

but fact still remains…. you take steroids .. you are guilty of accusal of taking drugs that give you an advantage…

so I ask … why then is he right to claim the record isn’t tainted?

*thanks for replies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Personally I don’t think he deserves to have that record. I don’t watch much baseball (football is my fav), but I did follow the story and I’m sure that if he is guilty of using the steroids that his conscience should be working overtime and keep him awake at night.

Like they say, what goes around comes back around and if he cheated then he will get paid back 10 fold for claiming something that may not be rightfully his.

What do you think about Michael Vick and the dog fighting? I think that act is the lowest of the low. Cruelty to animals is NOT cool at all in my book and making animals fight is just plain sick IMO.

I saw him in an interview where he was cocky enought to believe that “everyone” loves him enough to overlook what he does because he is a football “star”. :sarcasm: He came off as totally arrogant and stuck up. It was embarrassing to watch him after admiring his football talent.

Anonymous

Hear ya G:

I agree. I was too…. once a big fan of V.

not anymore.

cruelty to animals is never cool. what’s most appalling is that he doesn’t need to be doing that stuff?

at least I could somewhat give leverage to those involved in such disgust .. because they might have needed the money …. *though no excuse .. just making a point.

sad. all I can say about that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At first I thought that Barry doesn’t deserve to take this from Hank Aaron… However…. after looking at the stats, I really am starting to think differently.

He had A LOT fewer at bats to beat the record! By thousands. Yes, he took drugs… But who knows what players of the past took to enhance their play? There weren’t any regulations back then.

I love the players of the past as much as the next guy and DO hate to see records like these broken – but it’s bound to happen!

Anonymous
    Inactive

My opinion was formed after watching his demener during the interview. When the “tainted” record question was asked. To me his response was not one that I’d expect from a person that felt he truly deserved the record and he seemed very uncomfortable and visible irritated.

It’s about playing fair and being above reproach. I know that folks say that “others” do it so it’s ok, but that does not make it right. I’d love to hear what his peers have to say on the subject.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think bonds is an ass and i feel sorry for hank aaron. But Babe Ruth never seemed to care about his “health”, he loved partying, loved playing ball and being the big man. So, i’m not sure The Babe would be that different than a lot of today’s players.

so, Bonds certainly hit more home runs. he competed against McGuire and Sosa, who used steriods too.

I used to watch a lot of baseball, haven’t watched to much in the last 20 years. maybe this stuff is why?

Anonymous

partying is one thing…. taking drugs that are made to enhance your play … another.

if anything …. the babe worked against himself …. though i admit it was an act done that he had to know would hurt his performance.

would he have taken drugs to increase his performance? well maybe .. but on the other hand… you have to wonder that if he was that dedicated to his performance … he wouldn’t have partied like he did.

a good question …. can’t begin to answer.

Ya hank took a lot more at bats ….. but don’t you think that only proves the point?

I’m not saying barry doesn’t deserve the record… after all….. many in his day and age took the same drugs and didn’t come close. but for him to say the record isn’t tainted? I don’t know about that.

seems to me I’d be a lot more humble…. probably saying something like well I know now what i did was wrong …… but it doesn’t take away from the fact that I broke the record when so many that also took steroids .. never came close.

in the end ….. I think it deserves an asterik. especially if things continue in the fashion they are… where there will be drug testing and it not allowed to be used by pro athletes.

I think there’s no getting around the fact that we have seen an era tainted. at least by what looks to be future standards.

Anonymous

anybody know whether there were steroids back in the day of babe or hank?

just curious. I imagine they might have existed .. but then again maybe not.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well thank you BB1 for appreciating my insight on such matters

I can tell u from my own experience competing in sports professionally that there are always those who cheat, nobody knew Maradona was high until after the fact and he was the most recognizable sports figure in the world.

It is a secret that is guarded well for some

My own personal belief, and how I live my life is that I will never do anything that is bad for me no matter how glorious the brief personal gain might be

That doesn’t mean I won’t drink or get occassionally, how do u say it, high, but I don’t take pills, inject myself, etc, never have, all they ever had to do was tell me it was gonna make my pecker smaller, I haven’t an inch to spare, that was enough to scare me away

As for Barry Bonds, not a lot of people seem to like him, he acts like he is better when really he is tainted to hell from the all the shit he put in himself, and his character is completely out of whack as a result

That’s the biggest problem, I think if it was a well rounded individual succeeding we could appreciate that, but not some guy who acts like an idiot and runs away from his own truths

Stand up, be a man, admit what u did

On the other hand, I have a Barry Bonds rookie card, go Barry

So what are u asking me BB1, u want me to make Barry Bonds dissapear because he pisses u off lol

Anonymous

come on Nick,

I asked you because i respect your opinion. nothing more.

don’t be so defensive. It was a compliment.

I don’t go out of my way to insult anybody not deserving.

and if by now you don’t recogonize a compliment of such …. then i guess nothing I say will change that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, the thing that really bugs me more than the steriods is the fact that todays baseball game is much different, geared totally got the long ball.

– Ball parcks are much smaller
    – The ball is incredibly more active off the bat (rubber core now like a super ball)

When you look at that the record set by Hank in much more impressive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@allfreechips 134983 wrote:

Well, the thing that really bugs me more than the steriods is the fact that todays baseball game is much different, geared totally got the long ball.

– Ball parcks are much smaller
    – The ball is incredibly more active off the bat (rubber core now like a super ball)

When you look at that the record set by Hank in much more impressive.

I would have to agree with that, the game is always evolving

The proper way to assess a record is by it’s accomplishment for it’s time, if a sprinter runs 100 metres in 9.75 seconds today, and another sprinter ran 100 metres in 10.20 seconds 100 years ago, is he faster, yes, is he more impressive, no, because the sprinter from 100 years ago did something that was harder to do and had more of an impact, u gotta keep technology and other advances in mind, that sprinter from 100 years ago with today’s advances could probably run 100 metres in 9.50 seconds

It’s not enough to say one player did more with fewer at bats, they were throwing the ball 60 mph back then and 100 mph today

I haven’t really looked at the 2 players closely, nor do I have a good reason to, so I can’t really give the nod to one or the other, i’ll refer the case to somebody who’s seen them both play, one of those old timers sitting on the porch waiting to tell a story about just that, I have never really been a big baseball guy, I like it but just spent more time playing and betting other games

Anonymous
    Inactive

@bb1webs 134982 wrote:

come on Nick,

I asked you because i respect your opinion. nothing more.

don’t be so defensive. It was a compliment.

I don’t go out of my way to insult anybody not deserving.

and if by now you don’t recogonize a compliment of such …. then i guess nothing I say will change that.

BB1 buddy, what is up with the paranoia

You sound like you’re not feeling so good lately, just turn that frown upside down, the sun will shine again, don’t worry

That’s a few times i’ve seen u head off in the wrong direction here lately for no good reason

Gambling Season 2007 is about to start, NFL style, get up for it

I haven’t even looked at baseball yet this year, hmm, I don’t know, the Cleveland Indians to win the World Series? :wink-wink

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)