Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Ads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Aleph.

You might be right that it’s part of a natural cycle – but that’s missing the main point.

There is no doubt that the polar caps are melting – and that the sea is rising and there is more moisture in the atmosphere creating wilder weather – and having an impact on human habitation.

(I beleive even the doubters do not disagree on this point)

Human activity is PROBABLY making it worse – and with planning and forethought we can make human activity have a neutral impact … and as a species we probably do also have the ability to actually reduce the impact.

Now to get back to the main point of where to live …
    :tongue:

The South Pacific is lovely and I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has had the fill of the rat race of North America or Europe.

However …

Avoid Small Island nations – the natives are restless.
    Tonga, Bali, Papua New Guinea, Fiji have all had increasing problems with radicals, and violence tends to go out of control.

We are seeing Army backed coups, violent rioting, as the local populace has unreasonable expectations of living standards.

Basically much of the Pacific is made up of banana republics (literally) and there are many tinpot little factions grabbing at power.

Avoid anything at sea level
    (refer to global warming discussions above)

If I was making a general recomendation on safe, secure lcoations then I’d suggest :
    – Tahiti
    – New Caladonia
    – Australia
    – New Zealand

Depending on your language preference, the temperatures that you prefer, the level of spohistication you want, and how isolated you want to be.

(perhaps i should open an immigration website eh?)
    :rollover:

Anonymous
    Inactive

You might not believe in global warming but truth is it doesn’t matter. Pollution is causing many more environmental and health problems that these alone should be enough for humans to change our ways.

Ocean life is especially getting a beating, polar bears and certain whales such as belugas have to be treated as toxic waste once they wash ashore. All of these animals have been tested positive for many chemicals such as pesticides, lame retardant, arsenic, mercury, & lead. Every year the level of contamination is on the increase.

Babies are testing positive for these chemicals. Each year the number of kids suffering from asthma and mental illnesses such as autism is on the rise. I could go on forever. This is why conservatives confuse the hell out of me. It’s ok to pollute as long as the economy is better. Have to love that logic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My main point was that solutions exist but they would

decimate many industries and reduce your cost of living.

We can’t have that.

:dozing:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like a “reduced cost of living” we all would.
    :laugh:

However I suspect that you are actually saying increased cost of living – and I cannot agree that profits come before habitat.
    :lookaroun

Industries cannot continue to pollute freely under the guise of having no long term impact – just because it produces “wigits” at a cheaper price for the populations to consume.

Right now the standard of living around the world is as high as it’s ever been – certainly better than our parent and grand parents – and it has come at the cost of a toxic world.

There does need to be a whole rethink around the “cost of production” which also includes pollution – and polluters need to be taxed so highly that they go out and find more efficient (and less destructive) manufacturing methods.

(and I am surprised at how Eco Avenger I sound – because I am pro-business)

But I think that manufacturing outputs and waste has gonig unchecked becuase there is no “cost” to the polluter. Change it. Punish it with punitive taxes. And we will quickly see far more eco friendly methods.
    :thumbsup:

At least I hope so …
    :happydanc

Anonymous
    Inactive
    TheGooner wrote:
    (perhaps i should open an immigration website eh?)
    :rollover:

You got one visitor! :)

Actually, I think that’s a good idea.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    TheGooner wrote:
    I’d like a “reduced cost of living” we all would.
    :laugh:

However I suspect that you are actually saying increased cost of living – and I cannot agree that profits come before habitat.
    :lookaroun

Industries cannot continue to pollute freely under the guise of having no long term impact – just because it produces “wigits” at a cheaper price for the populations to consume.

Right now the standard of living around the world is as high as it’s ever been – certainly better than our parent and grand parents – and it has come at the cost of a toxic world.

There does need to be a whole rethink around the “cost of production” which also includes pollution – and polluters need to be taxed so highly that they go out and find more efficient (and less destructive) manufacturing methods.

(and I am surprised at how Eco Avenger I sound – because I am pro-business)

But I think that manufacturing outputs and waste has gonig unchecked becuase there is no “cost” to the polluter. Change it. Punish it with punitive taxes. And we will quickly see far more eco friendly methods.
    :thumbsup:

At least I hope so …
    :happydanc

I did mean reduce your cost of living … for example

light bulbs can be mandated to last ten times their

manufactured expiry date and it would cost you a few

cents more per bulb … this would save paper, save energy

to manufacture the redundant units and transport them

and finally to dispose of them … this is without mentioning

LED lighting and its’ BILLION dollar savings to consumers …

I can give you a hundred different true examples … here’s

another one I learned of recently from experts on a

mainstream radio show … it would cost fractions of a penny

to improve the quality of tap water to amazing levels but

business and governement prefer you continue paying

taxes for water AND pay for it again by buying bottled

water. So instead of fractions of a penny you will pay over

$1.00 for the same product and cause massive wastage of

energy and materials. On top of this they will are pushing

to increase taxes to ” save the environment “. Can you see

how the solutions are all there but you can’t have them ?

:popcorn:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s another one linked to biological terrorism and it would also prevent the spread of the flu and the cold.

Install hepa filters in the recycled air in planes. This would cost next to nothing. Right now if a person travels they are guaranteed to catch any disease that someone else has on a plane.

It’s funny how the US government can spend billions on terrorism but cant introduce this simple measure. Then again this isn’t related to improving the profit margins of certain corporations so it’s kind of obvious why this measure has not been introduced.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s another example … lower the quality of education in

public schools so you would be stupid not to pay to send your

kids to private schools all the while never lowering your

school taxes.

:rolleyes:

Anonymous
    Inactive

“This week in on a native reserve in northern alberta Canada 5 dogs attacked and mauled to death a 5 year old. This had happened on this same reserve several years ago. People are shocked and want to put the dogs down. While I cant blame them for wanting to get revenge, the blame should be entirely with the owners. The dogs were obviously starving and ill treated. It happens that a dog gets away from thier owner, but this should never be a problem unless the animal is mis-treated.”

That poor kid. Imagine being 5 years old, your sight line is right on with the face of the dogs. The dogs are biting and scratching at your face and eyes, and you have no idea why this is happening. Can you think of a more terrifying way to have your existence ended?

That poor kid.

I myself am not a dog person… Simply meaning that I don’t like living with them. I think they smell bad, and mess up the house.

I think we’d be better off as a society if people adopted a homeless person instead of a dog.

Clean him up :bath:
    and feed him in exchange for doing the chores. Hopefully he won’t poop on the carpet :shakebutt or eat your favorite shirt :stirpot:

That poor kid… Can I say that again?
    Jeez.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think we’d be better off as a society if people adopted a homeless person instead of a dog.

This of course is a very unfortunate situation but you my dog hating numbskull are obviously very biased and misinformed about our furry little four legged friends. Ours of which is a 110lb German Shephard sleeping cozy by the fire next to me wanting nothing more than to be by the fire next to me. That’s it. No agenda, no headtrips no bullshit no nothing. He is a beloved family member that would die for us and protect us from any harm that comes our way. UNCONDITIONALY!!! He’d take a bullet or a bear claw. Doesn’t matter to him. He doesn’t eat children or piss on the carpet but I’m sure if you stepped on our property he’d aquire an instant taste for silly cunuck (hope that’s less offensive).

Adopt a homeless person. Yeah right. I’m sure your down at the shelter right now handing out the invitations. Let us all know how that goes.

You probably won’t be donating to your local animal shelter this Christmas but you might consider donating to the OC Rescue Mission instead. It’s a great place. I lived there as a homeless person for a year and a half.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope the owners of the dogs that attacked the kid are in jail for a long time for negligence and murder and animal abuse alike.

Re. adopting homeless people: Actually something I have thought of many times. It is illegal in the US though, would be slavery unless you pay them a good chunk of money too.

I have also many times considered taking up the “will work for food” offers, but there is the same legal problem, and also, I would be scared to take someone home whom I do not know at all.

Not so a dog, I haven’t met a dog yet I can’t communicate with.

So, I feed the homeless when I see them (actually go to the supermarket and buy them food that can be eaten without heating and won’t spoil for a week).

And I have adopted dogs and cats, even parrots. Always made them and me happy.

I am moving this to free for all, it’s off topic.

offtopic.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I would be scared to take someone home whom I do not know at all.”

No doubt there are risks in any pursuit. Even acts of charity :)

As for it being illegal, I guess Uncle Sam doesn’t want to give its people extra dependents to claim on their taxes… With an attitude like that maybe we should drop the “uncle”. LOL.

As for the person who attacked me in the previous post, I don’t think that was appropriate… All I did was express a lot of sympathy for the poor kid. And say I don’t like living with dogs. I didn’t say dogs don’t have a right to live.
    Jee whiz.
    :sarcasm:

I’d like to see that post removed. A little sympathy expressed for the kid, and an apology or a ban.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Adopting homeless people has one main problem with it. Most people who are homeless are so because of drugs or alcohol abuse. This is not all of course, but for the most part they would rob you blind given the opportunity.

As for dogs most would never even consider hurting anyone unless they felt that they or thier owner was threatened. I have been in bed for the last 20 hours sick over who knows what, and everytime I woke up I had my nice cuddly friend pressed up against me with her head on my shoulder. Not once did she wake me up, but it was comforting having her there. No homeless person, or even normal person is capable of that type of love.

Plus it would feel odd if I woke up and had a homeless person rubbing up against me!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Antoine. Have you ever tried to give food to a homeless person? I have! They want money and not food. I wonder why.
    The homeless people also fight for the right location. A radio station a few years back here in Los Angeles and did a survey – result: made $200 per day!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, it does depend on the location of the homeless.

In rural areas they are usually in transit and do need food. Yes, everytime I have done this they would have preferred money, that is exactly why I give food.

I agree with Antoine, animals are capable of the most pure, unconditional love I have ever seen.

Unfortunately for reasons incomprehensible to me I have no editing powers once I move a thread to freeforall. I should remember that and avoid doing so in future. Otherwise I would edit out the offending word.

Just don’t start name calling and personal attacks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Otherwise the only recourse I have is to get rid of the entire thread.

:whipper”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)