Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Obama Good for Online Gambling?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fintan

Respected international analyst thinks he may be

From today’s CAP Newswire:

November 5, 2008 (InfoPowa News) — In the wake of Barack Obama‘s victory in the U.S. presidential elections this week, speculation on Internet gambling websites and message boards has been rife on whether this will mean a more sensible approach to the regulation of Internet gambling in the U.S.A.

While many of the opinions are based on personal views and political perspectives, one hard-nosed business assessment was published by the respected international analysts, brokers and business consultants Merrill Lynch, which encouraged gambling companies by saying that an Obama victory could well lead to more open markets in the U.S.

“We think it could ultimately pave the way for online gaming regulation rather than prohibition,” the broker said, highlighting Democratic moves by Congressman Barney Frank to repeal the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, introduced in October 2006 to prohibit the transfer of funds from financial institutions to internet gambling firms.

“There have been separate acts to legalize internet gambling as well as those that particularly target poker and other games of skill. We think that with a Democrat president and Democrat-dominated Congress, such legislation would likely have a greater chance of being passed through.”

The prospect of freer markets across the Atlantic boosted Partygaming by 6.15 percent or 8p to 138p, and 888 Holdings, up 12.46 percent or 9.5p at 85.75p.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just posted to one of your other posts, so I don’t want to repeat the whole thing, I hope you do read my other post though.

My main worry here is Polosi, the speaker. When we were asked to email our reps, she was one that I emailed, I believe it was before she was speaker although I’m not sure.

My local rep, Sherman is for at least wanting to look into it more, Fienstien seemed a little ify, but more against it than for it, but Polosi, at the time she replied to me was 100% anti online gaming, very against it.

You seem really on top of all of this. Whats your advise on what we can do. I have emailed, mailed and actually called my reps, but I’d like to do more, I’m just not sure what. I did canvass for Sherman, but Nancy, the speaker has a lot of clout, I think she is the one we need to target, any thoughts Nathan?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could you quote what Pelosi replied if it’s not too confidential? :hattip:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wish I could, but at the time I had a Socal.rr.mail act. and now have a mac, and I never saved it, but let me just mention the reason I am posting in here now is I am trying to get away from the political stuff and my intent is only my bottom line, I want to get involved.

What you can do is , just email her and I’m sure either her or her staff will answer you promptly, she did me.

She was not confused on how she felt about it, she seemed very convicted, while fienstein seemed a little fogy to me. Brad Sherman, my Dem rep in my area is 100% with us.

I think I too will email her again and see if her stance is still the same.

If ( and I am 99% sure I will ) I get a reply, I will PM it to you.

I’ll send her the email now and I am just going to ask her what her stance is.

If anyone else has heard about how she feels on the subject, I’d like to here it.

Thanks for asking the question and I will get back to you as soon as I get her reply.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gold, I just email her at her congress address, if you are not in Calif you have to email her speaker address which is also on google.

By the way. I spelled her name wrong, it’s Pelosi.

I’ll let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Later.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For what it’s worth, Pelosi is a bit of an idiot, and Obama is an exceptionally smart, clear thinker. Obama will need to find ways to save money (e.g., getting us out of Iraq war), and ways to generate revenue in a horrific economy. He will certainly look at legalization of online gambling as a way to generate revenue. He will look at this, mark my words, and it will trump any feeling that Pelosi has. She is not pragmatic at all, and a dolt, IMO.

fintan

Hey bud405n, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It sounds like you’re off to a good start — contacting your local representatives, and making your opinions known to the decision-makers. It’s true that Pelosi is adamantly against online gambling; but then again, she’s a politician, so if she starts receiving thousands of phone calls and emails on the topic, she might find it convenient to change her mind about that.

It can be frustrating getting involved in politics because things tend to move so slowly. It takes momentum, and that doesn’t come overnight. (Well, it does sometimes, like when the voters recently reacted against the $700 bailout.) But nonetheless, it helps more than you may realize just to let your representatives know where you stand on these issues.

Some other options: Have your friends / family also contact your representatives with the same messaging. Get a petition going. If you can show, say, five thousand legitimate signatures in support of a cause, your representative will definitely take note of that.

We just published an article in which the Poker Players Alliance outlined some more ideas on how to get our voices heard. Click here to read it.

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps. Let me know if you’d like any more info.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also posted the following in other thread… But am putting it here too.

I imagine Pelosi thinks she is protecting economically challenged people by wanting online gaming outlawed.

What she doesn’t realize is these people are going to gamble online whether it’s legal or not, and they’re going to gamble offline too! Hello McFly!

So they’re almost always going to have issues finding money to pay for necessities like their own healthcare, etc…

The solution to this problem?

Regulate online gambling and tax it. The tax revenues can help pay for healthcare for economically challenged individuals, some of who may regularly lose money gambling. At least they’ll get healthcare out of it.

A practical solution for a real problem… Which is what I think Obama is all about… The question is, what is Pelosi all about?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)