Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

is a sitemap a must?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi everyone
    I see in google webmaster tools the warning
    that i did not submit a sitemap yet
    Can anyone tell me
    is the sitemap a Must?
    Would google ban me if i dont submit one?

thanks in advance

Marina

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, I did not have a site map for years. However, as soon as it was added (Google is free) I jumped up in my PR ranking. In addition, you’d be surprise at how many people click on the site map every day (I can tell because of statcounter).

Anonymous
    Inactive

thank you bleuze

Think I will spend that time to figure out this sitemap thing :hattip:

PS:
    i am using stacounter too since my begin with my forum and i love statcounter, lol

frankBP

A google sitemap ie xml format is useful, if not essential. Google won’t ban you from the SERPs without one, but having it is an efficient way of getting new pages spidered quickly. If you follow the instructions in Google Webmaster Tools, it’s pretty straightforward to set up. And once you’ve got it, it’s easy to keep updated.

I may be wrong (apologies if I am!) but I think Bleuze is talking about an on-site sitemap (as they refer to visitors clicking on it). That’s another way for spiders to find their way to new pages and, again, it can’t hurt to have one. It’s also a requisite for accessibility compliance.

I have both, but as the xml format is industry standard, I’d be tempted to give that more importance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A google sitemap ie xml format is useful

yeah i just se this on a sitemap generator
    lol, as for now this looks very difficult to me as i even dont know where to add this then , lol
    but i will just read through all and try to learn
    thanks a lot for the advice :hattip:

FrankBlack

@Bonus Paradise 149956 wrote:

yeah i just se this on a sitemap generator
    lol, as for now this looks very difficult to me as i even dont know where to add this then , lol
    but i will just read through all and try to learn
    thanks a lot for the advice :hattip:

I been trying to figure that out as well . It’s got this old boy stumped to say the least , but a lot about trying to set up a site does . lol

Anonymous
    Inactive

for an xml-sitemap for google: http://www.sitemapdoc.com/
    create map—-copy the source—past in editor—-safe as sitemap.xml
    and put it in the root (like: mywebsite.com/sitemap.xml)
    and submit it in webmastertools

a html sitemap is just a page on your website with links to all your pages on it, you can make it as nice as you want, any layout etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thank you very much elgoog
    that sound now not that hard
    you woul be sure a good teacher too
    are ya?
    lol
    happy sunday to everyone :hattip:

frankBP

There’s a great article re Google sitemaps in the Sept 2006 edition of the CAP magazine (page 14). Tells you what you need to know!

frankBP

@balagan9 150038 wrote:

Can anyone prove that using XML site map really helps your rankings?

No, but that’s not what it’s for.

It’s a way to give you some control over which pages are spidered and how often. And it’s the best way to get new pages into Google’s index.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sitemaps are not essential but count towards good user experience so in general you should have one (as a part of your site).

Google sitemaps is different though – in my experience there is no hard evidence that submitting sitemap to Google helps in indexation or rankings. In past there were many reporting their indexed pages count dropping as a direct result of submitting the sitemap although I believe most issues are solved by now. Also, you are giving Google a lot of information about your sites; not always a good idea especially if you are keen on conspiracy theories.

I submit them personally, but not for each and every site. The data you can get from them how Google handles your site(s) also comes handy sometimes.

If you are thinking about submitting one to Google sitemaps, do this:

– google “sitemap generator”, 1st result is quite a good one
    – put the created sitemap in the folder with your website files
    – validate the sitemap with Google; in Google sitemaps account you`ll get a file which you must put in the same folder as in previous step

Don`t forget to recreate the sitemap as you add new content :wink-wink

cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

good explanation :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)