Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Geotargetting?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been thinking that a script that checked my visitors to see where they come from and displayed a banner pertinent to their region would be a good thing.

For example, a UK player would get pounds banners on every page from leading UK operators. French players get a French language banner… You get the idea.

Are there scripts out there that do this?

Can anyone recommend one that’s relatively easy to implement and use?

supervince

I use openads Its open source so you can modify it if you need to. There is a bit of a learning curve when you first start using it but after a couple days it becomes extremely easy to use. There is also a forum if you need help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can a geo-targetting script negatively affect a site in the serps If I was to re-direct foreign visitors to their respective language sections? I understand that the script doesn’t work at the search engine level, but wouldn’t the google toolbar pick up the automatic redirection? I’ve noticed that most of the sites in the top 10 positions in google don’t use geo-tracking scripts. It’s probably a dumb question, but I thought I’d ask.

supervince

I use geotargeting for displaying different banners on my pages based on the visitors location. As far as redirecting users or displaying totally different content, I think that would fall under cloaking and could possibly get you banned from some search engines.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Doolally,

You beat me to it! I was just about to post about the new GEO banners at Dream Poker and then I saw your post. :)

I think that the new GEO banners at Dream Poker can help with conversions. GEO banners will be able to send your traffic to the landing page that best coincides with their country, thus being more appealing to the player’s eye.

Dream Poker offers software in multiple languages, as well as support to go along with it! They have a ton of international languages to suit most audiences. Plus with the GEO banners you won’t have to worry about your traffic being turned off by not being able to read one of the homepage languages, they will be directed to the one they know best!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
    Vanessa

Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    Income Access
    Vanessa@incomeaccess.com

[Dream Poker; affiliates@dreampoker.com]

Anonymous
    Inactive
    LandofOz wrote:
    Can a geo-targetting script negatively affect a site in the serps If I was to re-direct foreign visitors to their respective language sections? I understand that the script doesn’t work at the search engine level, but wouldn’t the google toolbar pick up the automatic redirection? I’ve noticed that most of the sites in the top 10 positions in google don’t use geo-tracking scripts. It’s probably a dumb question, but I thought I’d ask.

I use a custom script based around the GeoIP database. Works well. However your question above is interesting and well raised. It seems to divide opinion. Some think that if Google etc see different info on the same page, it baulks at it. However, i think a) this may only be the case if you are radically changing content (ie different languages) and b) the news sites are always changing, so my personal opinion is that the effect would not be too negative. But i have no proof.

I geo-target on one site, changing the reviews I show depending on country and while my rankings aren’t great and fluctuate, it doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference since i introduced thie Geo methodology.

But some think it has a negative impact. Trial and error I guess as no-one knows.

A safer method maybe to use Geo to place a message on the page for users to click if they want to, in turn directing them to their local version? “Parlez vous Francais? Cliquez ici s’il vous plait…” etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I realize this is an aged thread, but since I’m researching geo targeting methods right now (please feel free to offer any tips, useful tutorials, assistance, software suggestions… ) I thought I’d throw out a valid point I found on an old thread.

If you geo target actual content, that is multi-lingual contnet, then the google bot comes to your site, using a US IP and only indexes the US content shown to folks that visit with US IP’s, as the bot is only shown content specified for the IP address it visited from.

So your other pages, that aren’t meant for US visitors wont be seen by G, and wont then be indexed, is the theory, the thread was pretty old though, so there may be a viable fix for the problem by now, anyway, food for thought.

zigmundovich

For one of our websites we GEO target visitors from:

• UK
    • US
    • Germany
    • France

So….. US visitors will see other content then the German visitors for instance. We also use other keywords for each section.

I did a lot of research but nobody can give me a definite answer wether our GEO targetting strategy negatively influences our SE rankings or not?

It would be great to solve this question at last, can anyone help me?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is an interesting issue. As far as I know, there’s only one “Googlebot”, even though different googles (ie .com, .fr) list different results. Does this mean that US Googlebot builds a database of websites (based on US geotargetting) and then ranks the websites for each different googles?

If that was the case, it would really screw you up if you had US content and other content only visible from Germany or something. I guess the safest and best way to do it is to add flags with links to the other languages. That way even if you use heavy geotargetting, those other languages would still be crawled.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doolally, I had a script put together for me which seems to work pretty much fine. I’ve got no problems with you using it if you wish. PM or e-mail me (robcook@blueyonder.co.uk) if you’d like to take a look.

Anonymous
    Inactive

we’ve done geotargeting script to determine which banners to show, but not the content.

We have unique content, that being lottery info, for each country. We create a country subdomain for each country’s data. Each subdomain is encoded and optimized for that country. All the sites are cross linked at the bottom of each page. so people would explicitly choose their “local” site, google would see all and can put them whereever and however they wish (as they do regardless :) )

We’re still trying to figure out belgium, switzerland and canada and if we want to redirect based on browser language or make it a language an explicit choice and then save a cookie.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just curious, why do you redirect via language rather than country?

Cathy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)