Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

FortuneAffiliates.com warning

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes chips,

Laura is a Military macaw! :D

Anonymous

I’ve also been wondering what kind of parrot you were holding.

I used to have a cockatoo, who came to work with me every day (when I had the pet shop/farm feed store). He was a friendly thing with all the customers, and a bit of a prankster.

Thanks for reminding me that Focal Click has been undergoing a DOS attack. I hope things smooth out for them quickly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What kind of cockatoo? I have some little Goffins who will talk your ear off. Make sense too – they can name whatever foods I handle and ask for them by name. Smart little guys!

Anonymous

He’s a cross between an umbrella and a Yellow Crested.

How I acquired him is an interesting story.

He was hand raised as a wee baby by the woman who groomed dogs for me at the store, and spent the first few years of his life on display at the “bird garden” on the Island here – which has since closed down – then sold to a couple who had no idea what they were getting into with a parrot! I got a call from these people one day, asking me if I was interested in buying a parrot. I had no idea that my groomer had raised him, and it was quite a reunion between them when he showed up!

One prank I remember him doing was once at a gas station. I let him out of his little doggie carrier while we got gas and was holding him. When the attendant leaned over to collect my money, Sumo – quick as a wink reached into his shirt pocket, grabbed a 5 dollar bill and threw it into the car beside me and raised his crest in triumph! haha “atta boy Sumo!”

Talk about off-topic!
    :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sumo – hahahaa! Did the groomer name him? They look like little Sumo wrestlers when they are tiny – too funny!

People don’t realize how cuddly, comical and smart parrots are when they are handraised.

They always think of the imported Parrots of years gone by, who would rather kill you than have you look at them after experiencing the worst human kind can dish out.

Handraised parrots are so very different, there is no comparison.

This is my first website: http://www.hawkheadhaven.com

Anonymous

The groomer named him. Yeah, he was a constant source of entertainment for everyone.
    Yeah, hand raised birds are amazing.
    I once hand raised a tiny little zebra finch – I found the egg on the bottom of the cage at the store.
    What a task that was! First I had to find a eye dropper small enough to feed him with, and regulating the temperature…..I had to take him back and forth to the store and home, too. Him and Sumo. LoL
    He grew up to be a sweet little male finch, who would fly around and land on my shoulder. I’ve never seen a hand tamed finch before.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lol! The things we have in common!

I always thought I was the only person on earth to handraise a Zebra finch!

I used a toothpick to feed Leonardo da Finchi. Turned out to be a female, but the name stuck.

That little bird thought she was a parrot and rode on my shoulder all proudly. She would sit in my hand when I watched TV and if I made a fist she would fall asleep immediately in there.

Handraised finches are very rare, and NOBODY but crazies feed $2.00 zebra finches day and night by hand. Lol!!!!!!!!! bird.gif

Anonymous

WOW

I don’t believe it.

You raised a finch, too!
    I have never met anyone else who did that.
    Oh man, the constant temperature monitering of the Finch’s bed and his food. And they are so tiny!
    I named him Judson.

:bigsmile:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah, I licked the temperature problems!

I got two plastic aquariums and an under water aquarium heater.

I put water in the bottom 3rd or so of one aquarium, fastened the heater on the floor, and put the second Aquarium on top.

I had all kinds of professional incubators over the years as a breeder of exotic birds, but that simple thing was the best by far.

You could fine tune by how many paper towels you used as bedding, and I put a little plastic bottle with water in there for the bird to cuddle up against and for humidity.

Food temperature – I would mix it with warm water, then fill a syringe and put that in a glass with hot water. I had a thermometer in the cup – one for measuring the heat of oil in a car, lol. When the water in the cup had reached the proper temperature, so had the food in the syringe.

I have heard of people raising rare mutation Gouldians and such by hand – but never a simple little Zebra! :bigsmile:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have a yellow crested amazon named Lucifer

Thought he was girl to start and called her Lucy but then realized it was a he devil LOL when he gets mad he will draw blood no matter who you are …. He even freaks our bird dog out and will attack him if he gets a chance ….. Crazy ass parrot with fly to the ground and take off ruunning around chasing the poor dog. And the dog has no problem chasing quail and pheasant, but the Lucifer is a bit meaner then either of those animals ….. Maybe its cause we called him Lucy for a year hahahaha LMAO that would get me a bit cranked also ‘

Anonymous
    Inactive

Amazons are like that. The biting comes and goes with the breeding season. Usually it’s worst in the spring time.

The quail etc are pretty helpless, but Lucifer has a beak that is made to crack all kinds of nuts – he can crack your finger bone easily. So, the bites you do get are “gentle corrections”.

Yeah, right, I know! I have been bitten many times. It hurts like hell! But it is true, he thinks he is being gentle about it. You don’t want to be on the receiving end when he is really angry.

Lora, the military macaw, would have no trouble severing the finger. The pressure she can excert with that beak is enormous. I have always marvelled at how they can raise these minute offspring without hurting them. Amazing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL

I thought finger loss was coming a few times. I never thought about the breeding season thing, kind of like a buck in rut. Yah I know that they are strong, more like a hawk or eagle, those talons are sharp as well ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

A buck in rut – lol – never thought of it that way but the shoe fits.

There really is no cure for it with an Amazon, it’s not their fault, they don’t do it on purpose and they can’t control it.

Best thing to do is just be careful in the springtime. It gets better as they age. Every year should be a tad better. Eventually it subsides.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yay fellow bird lovers!

I was forced into the bird thing growing up my house was a zoo. We have had 2 Cockatoos both umbrellas one died of beak and feather, 2 blue and golds, a scarlet, an african grey (He’s soooooo smart and got a vocab you wouldnt beleive), a yellow fronted amazon, a psychotic Eclectus named Elliot, a few cockatiels, that’s not including the 25-30 variety of other animals my parents felt the need to save LOL.

Great danes, chows, min pins, desert tortoise, lizards, snakes, ferrets, squirrels, we had a crow once too LOL…my dad owns a tree company so they come and go

LOL

Anonymous

sorry to get back on track here but I just want to say Aaaagggaiin!!! that if a program is not performing to expectations; get them off your site!

at best, they are incompetent and taking away players that otherwise would make you money

at most likely, they are thieves. PERIOD! and every time you keep these places on your sites, in even remote spots; you are “enabling” these programs to stay in business that much longer and rip-off that many more like yourself.

Face it; If that dog won’t hunt; don’t take it to the country! shoot the damn thing if you have to; but don’t let it drag you and your future down any more than it already has by not performing up to now.

You can always keep your ears open and try them again later if you hear good things.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)