External link penalties

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #595744
    KamielM
    Member

    Hi there,

    I’ve been reading about how Google can penalise your site if you set up too many external links to your site in a months period.

    My questions is, how many is “too many”? I realise that submitting your site to some engines which will guarantee “1,000 external links” isn’t the best way forward … but how many can I afford (roughly speaking!)

    Cheers,

    #759609
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    that’s a good question, but hard to answer
    it seems to depend on different factors,
    if you have a small and new website and want to play it safe i’d say 5 new links a week
    but others have different opinions, like a few hundred new links a week wouldn’t hurt….

    #759611
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    external links coming in should look natural, and by that I mean the rate of new linking in should fit the rate of content development. It wouldn’t be natural for a site that has 1 new page per week to get 10 new links per week.

    #759612
    nocturnal
    Member

    @MortimerJazz 151954 wrote:

    Hi there,

    I’ve been reading about how Google can penalise your site if you set up too many external links to your site in a months period.

    My questions is, how many is “too many”? I realise that submitting your site to some engines which will guarantee “1,000 external links” isn’t the best way forward … but how many can I afford (roughly speaking!)

    Cheers,

    Because getting too many links in a short period of time looks unnatural to major search engines. Getting loads of links in short span of time might hurt your SERP’s. If you are submitting your website to free directories, I will suggest you to submit to 25-35 Directories each day. It will look natural to search engines.
    MY ROUGH ESTIMATE :) : I think getting 35-50 link each month is OK. But all links must be theme based links and off course high quality. :)

    Good Luck
    Seomaster

    #759639
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I don’t remember where I read it but I know that it’s ok if you submit your site in 20 directories per day, some of these directories won’t approve you, some of them will approve, hence maybe 10 reciprocal links per day will be good.

    #759868

    I don’t think google will penalize you. I do think that they will discard excessive IBLs and discount them. Think about it, if they did penalize you for links of which you can’t control then your competition could bowl you out of the SERPs.

    #759929
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    @Seomaster 151985 wrote:

    Because getting too many links in a short period of time looks unnatural to major search engines. Getting loads of links in short span of time might hurt your SERP’s.

    I’m not saying your wrong, but I just don’t understand the rationale behind that. What if your company or site is in the news for something one day and you get thousands of links from other sources? I’m not sure why Google would penalize you for that? If you are a smart marketer and you produce an article or tool to use as link bait and thousands of webmasters link to you during a short period of time, I think that’s just good marketing.

    Mark

    #759950
    nocturnal
    Member

    @Focal 152394 wrote:

    I’m not saying your wrong, but I just don’t understand the rationale behind that. What if your company or site is in the news for something one day and you get thousands of links from other sources? I’m not sure why Google would penalize you for that? If you are a smart marketer and you produce an article or tool to use as link bait and thousands of webmasters link to you during a short period of time, I think that’s just good marketing.

    Mark

    I forgot to mention this, Only get or exchange link which is related to your websites theme. Always try to get links in content which is related to your websites theme. Don’t place links or exchange links with unrelated sites. Google might take this as unnatural Link Building or Black hat Link Building Technique and you may get penalized.
    Getting links through article syndication is different. As you will be getting links in theme based content.

    Before exchanging links please check the following:

    1) Website Indexed in Google or Not.
    2) All outgoing links must be related to your websites theme.
    3) Outgoing links must not be more than 35-50.
    4) Check if they are using any scripts or no-follow links.

    There are few more but I don’t have in my mind right now. :( I will post later.

    Cheers
    Seomaster

    #759954
    frankBP
    Member

    These days, with the popularity of Social Networking, it’s possible for a site to become ‘hot’ very quickly and to receive a massive amount of new IBLs.

    There’s no way Google would discount those, but they may lose value over time.

    #759966
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    @Fortune Palace 152426 wrote:

    These days, with the popularity of Social Networking, it’s possible for a site to become ‘hot’ very quickly and to receive a massive amount of new IBLs.

    There’s no way Google would discount those, but they may lose value over time.

    These would all be one way inbound links, Google would not penalize you for these. They realize you have no control over what someone else does on their site. Their algo is a lot smarter than most of us give them credit for. They can tell the difference between spamming your links all over the web and having you links added in news stories. It’s why a lot of us write content with links in it and submit it to article sites.

    As for the original question, I’ve always kept my link exchanging under 50 per month. See google knows you do have control here as these are exchanges.

    Hope this helps.

    #759970
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I agree with WagerX – I think link penalties are a myth. Its not logical. My bet is Google reduces the relevance/benefit of the links if it feels they are not natural, but not penalise. After all, if you released an artcilcle/PR (example) that was indeed very interesting news, people could theoretically naturally link it quickly and if it was hot news, could pick up thousands overnight.

    That said, Google might penalise you if all those links appeared in “bad neighbourhoods” – possibly. But I still think it would simply discount them rather than penalise.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)