Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Dude, Where’s My Country? part 2

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

cont.

No. 3 Whopper With Bacon: “Iraq has ties to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda!”
    Just hours after the attacks on 9/11, U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had already figured out who was responsible, or at least, who he wanted to punish. According to CBS News, Rumsfeld wanted as much information as possible about the attacks, and told his fact-finding team to “go massive. … Sweep it all up. Things related and not.” He already had intelligence indicating a connection to Osama (whom he called “Usama”), but he wanted more because he had other goals in mind. He wanted intelligence “good enough to hit S.H. [Saddam Hussein] at the same time. Not only U.B.L.”

W.A.B.O.B.S!

I say Osama, you say Usama … and Rumsfeld just says the magic word “Saddam” and before you know it, everyone else was saying it, too! Retired Gen. Wesley Clark has said that he received phone calls on September 11 and in the weeks after from people at “think tanks” and from people within the White House telling him to use his position as a pundit for CNN to “connect” 9/11 to Saddam Hussein. He said he’d do it if someone could show him the proof. No one could.

During the buildup to war in the fall of 2002, Bush and members of his administration kept repeating the claim, keeping it uncluttered by specifics (also known as “facts”) so it stayed nice and simple and easy to remember. Bush circled the country at campaign stops for Republican congressional candidates, inseminating the minds of the American people with the bogus Saddam/Osama connection on a continuous loop.

Just in case we missed the point, Bush continued to hammer it home in his State of the Union address on January 28, 2003: “Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaeda,” Bush insisted.

Immediately following the address, a CBS online poll found that support for U.S. military action in Iraq increased.

A week later, on February 5, Bush’s claims were echoed by Secretary of State Colin Powell in his lengthy address to the United Nations Security Council. After detailing what Powell said were Iraq’s numerous failures to comply with weapons inspections, he moved on to the Saddam/Osama connection: “But what I want to bring to your attention today is the potentially much more sinister nexus between Iraq and the al Qaeda network, a nexus that combines classic terrorist organizations and modern methods of murder.”

But the meat of the administration’s “evidence” had already begun to turn rancid. During that same first week of February, a British intelligence report leaked to the BBC said there were no links between Saddam and Osama. The two evildoers had tried to form a friendship in the past, but it had turned out like a great episode of “Blind Date” — they “hated” each other. According to the report, Bin Laden’s “aims are in ideological conflict with present-day Iraq.” On top of this, the al-Qaida poison and explosives factory Bush and his team claimed Saddam was harboring was located in northern Iraq — an area controlled by Kurds and patrolled by U.S. and British warplanes since the early nineties. The north of Iraq was out of Saddam’s reach, but within our own. The base actually belonged to Ansar al Isalam, a militant fundamentalist group whose leader has branded Saddam Hussein an “enemy.” A tour of the base by a large group of international journalists quickly revealed that no weapons were being manufactured there.

But none of that mattered. The president had said it — it had to be true! Yes, this whopper worked so well that, in the months leading up to the war in Iraq, polls showed that up to half of Americans said they believed that Saddam Hussein had ties to Osama bin Laden’s network. Even before Bush had served up his 2003 State of the Union address, and Powell had presented the Saddam-Osama “evidence” to the U.N., a Knight-Ridder poll found that half of those questioned already incorrectly thought that one or more of the 9/11 hijackers held Iraqi citizenship. Bush didn’t even have to say it.

– – – – – – – – – – – –

From the book “Dude, Where’s My Country?” by Michael Moore. Copyright (c) 2003 by Michael Moore. Reprinted by permission of Warner Books Inc., New York, N.Y. All rights reserved.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jeff I’m signing up with you …

I can’t go too wrong doing business with someone
    I share opinions with.

:rolleyes:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)