Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Do you buy/sell links? Do you trade links? Now you’re a spammer!

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s right, in their continuing war on enforcing their world view on everyone else, Google now offers the opportunity of reporting any suspected paid links as spam!

So you thought you were a whitehat huh? Well, if you ever bought or sold a paid link, actually you’re a spammer!

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

vladcizsol

Unacceptable behavior by Google that will specifically penalize small business owners. I think in Googles “Perfect World” the only sites that should come up in serps are Mega Corporartions with a full time staff of SEO experts and content writers.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Matt Cutts wrote:
    One thing I heard at SES London was that people wanted a way to report paid links specifically.

lol. Which bonehead said that?

Seriously, what… it’s ok to pay google for links, but not anyone else?

Anonymous
    Inactive

this proves that the real world is too complicated to be described with math formulas.

link popularity is the most important factor for google – everybody knows that paid links and link exchanges do not follow the main idea of google algorithm since they are eager to count only ‘natural’ links.

it’s a never ending struggle – although it’s sad that

Professor wrote:
    .. that will specifically penalize small business owners.

since big spammers will find ways how to ‘solve’ a new problem.

let us hope that SERPs will be more accurate:dafingers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Someone needs to knock google down a few pegs, they are starting to become the big MONSTER. Bastards:dafingers

winner.com

google is the new scientology – everything the preach they don’t do – do as I say not as I do

Welcome to the New hit Game Show ” Pardon My Hypocrisy” Here’s your host the US Government and special guest Announcer Google.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elsewhere, Matt says:

As long as we’re talking about links, this seems like a pretty good opportunity to talk about a simple litmus test for paid links and how to tell if a paid link violates search engines’ quality guidelines. If you want to sell a link, you should at least provide machine-readable disclosure for paid links by making your link in a way that doesn’t affect search engines. There’s a ton of ways to do that. For example, you could make a paid link go through a redirect where the redirect url is robot’ed out using robots.txt. You could also use the rel=nofollow attribute. I’ve said as much many times before, but I wanted to give a heads-up because Google is going to be looking at paid links more closely in the future.

The other best practice I’d advise is to provide human readable disclosure that a link/review/article is paid. You could put a badge on your site to disclose that some links, posts, or reviews are paid, but including the disclosure on a per-post level would better. Even something as simple as “This is a paid review” fulfills the human-readable aspect of disclosing a paid article.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I prefer the option of taking special care to make sure Google never finds out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So now Google wants to control what you put on your sites? If I have a paid link on my site its none of Googles business :dafingers

How can they ascertain when a link is paid or not? Are they going to be handing out random penalties on random complaints? Are they going to give accused sites a chance to defend themselves prior to penalties? Sounds like a crock of :bullshit: to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s google bowling part two: All the black hatters will start reporting their competitors links as paid…similar to when people were submitting sites to link farms to get them penalized.

I think this is just further evidence that google is saying “hey, our search results are losing relevance, and we don’t have a clue how to fix it, we’ll just put wikipedia at the top of every search page”.

Google: You encouraged all of us to become white hat SEO’s because it became clear that fresh updated content no longer meant jack, I guess it’s time to go black :stirpot:

richardb582
    Maxus wrote:
    this proves that the real world is too complicated to be described with math formulas.

link popularity is the most important factor for google – everybody knows that paid links and link exchanges do not follow the main idea of google algorithm since they are eager to count only ‘natural’ links.

Hard to get ‘natural’ links if no one can find your site. Its a vicious circle where you get punished no matter what you do.

richardb582

actually, what about paying for directory submission? Paying to have your website submitted to Yahoo directory for instance. Isn’t that a paid link?

bloody yahoo…spammers.

Anonymous

Are they going to give accused sites a chance to defend themselves

ya. right after they tell everybody where Hoffa is buried.

get real google!

its one thing to get lost in the fog. another to claim to know the way out and then penalize those who claim other directions. makes me sick.

……. AND glad I never bet my income on these or any other bastards besides my own paid way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i think use of the word “spam” injects some emotion into this that ought not be there.

“behavior by Google that will specifically penalize small business owners.”

– i get the opposite read on this. if you de-value paid links, the guy with say $xx,xxx a month to spend on links (in an effort to manipulate search engine rankings – not as traffic gathering tools) has no advantage over the fellow with $xxx to spend on links.

it levels the playfield.

and it you’re buying links for the traffic (err, like, an Ad), what’s it matter if there’s a “nofollow” tag on it, or it’s javascripted? your getting visitors.

“I prefer the option of taking special care to make sure Google never finds out.”

– aye. there’s always a workaround, isn’t there?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is nothing new for google. They’ve always felt that it’s “illegal” to game their engine. Yet they don’t offer any assistance in helping you improve your site.

My favorite is how they allow sites to advertise, and often manage to rank them in SERPs, that have no content, just ads that lead to endless chains of sites with nothing but ads. Google sells ads to these sites, pays commission on ads it runs on these sites, plus “allows” them in their search results. I would have to assume it’s a lot easier to determine that a site is all ads (especially when google’s ads appear on top) than to find “paid links”. Yet these ad arbitrage farms are all over google’s results and their Earnings Per Share every quarter.

Who said life was fair? google says :dafingers to us and we say that’s :bullshit:

And you can tell them it comes straight from Mayor McCheese!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)