Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

Are tourney fees counted as rake yet?

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a player ask, and wasn’t sure if this had been resolved yet. Tourney fees are pretty important for rakeback players who play almost exclusively tourneys.

:tounge2:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi KeithF,

For tournament Blackjack, the fees are counted as rake and commission is paid out on it. However, there has been no change regarding poker tourneys.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Best regards, :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m bumping this thread because I don’t understand the business logic behind not paying affiliate commissions on poker tournament fees. Are there any other poker affiliate programs with rev share programs who don’t pay tournament fees? Are tournament fees somehow not a profit center for the poker room?

I vaguely remember someone from UB saying that poker tournament fees would eventually be counted as rake and commissions would be paid on them at some point in the past. Are there still plans to do that? Am I just misremembering this?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Are there any other poker affiliate programs with rev share programs who don’t pay tournament fees?

There are (were?) a few Cryptos that don’t. Will Hill comes to mind and I think there are one or two others. Other then that I can’t think of any room that does not pay MGR on tourney fees.

Are tournament fees somehow not a profit center for the poker room?

As a whole tourneys are not where the money is. Rooms make far less off tourneys then cash games.

gamblog

I have wondered about this myself, but there is a bit of a feeling of powerlessness as an affiliate of the online poker rooms and if you already have an established customer base and are receiving a percent (vs CPA) then there is not all that much that you can do. Yes, you could stop promoting them, but like all the affiliate agreements they can pretty much cancel them at any time and stop paying you money if you do not continue to send them at least a trickle of new customers.

Having said that, which is general to all the poker affiliates, UltimateBet has been excellent for me in terms of revenue share and payment promptness and I have not heard of them abusing the affiliate agreement to stiff any affiliate.

I would like to see them continue to good will towards affiliates and start sharing the tournament fees as well however! Better revenue (and fixing the new cookie based tracking) would definitely encourage me to devote more space and attention to the UB brand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To correct my earlier statement I’ve discovered that Poker.com/Carbon Poker does not pay out tourney fees either.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Pokeraddict 142620 wrote:

Quote:
    As a whole tourneys are not where the money is. Rooms make far less off tourneys then cash games.

Hmm. Seems to me if a poker site is charging $100 + $9 as a tournament entry fee, then they’re making $9 per entrant. That sounds like a profit center to me, even if they don’t make as much from a tournament player per hour of play as they do a ring game player.

Certainly doesn’t explain why this revenue wouldn’t be considered when calculating an affiliate’s commissions.

I’m disappointed by the lack of response from Ultimate Bet here, but I guess their whole company has other things on their mind with the Absolute Poker thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Randy,

One thing to keep in mind is the affect deposit fees have on this. For example I see a $100 + $9 tourney I want to play so I deposit $109 using my cc. The cc fee is going to eat all of that $9 up. Even if I used a cheaper processor like ePassporte it would eat up $6 or so of it. The only way tourneys are profitable are on winning players. Of course even donkeys will win now and then but I was putting into perspective the effect fees have on tourneys.

If that $109 for example went into a cash game they could rake for as long as that money existed and as long as the player didn’t sit down like a goon and play $100 NL with it and bust right away. Cash games are as a rule exponentially more profitable for the rooms in more ways then just hourly rate. That’s not to say tourneys are not profitable but they attract players for cash games much like B&M does.

Of course the industry standard and even their sister site AP pay affiliates on tourney fees.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)