Get exclusive CAP network offers from top brands

View CAP Offers

about links

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=2]
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Spearmaster, it almost sounded like you just said “content is king.” Not a common mantra anymore, but still one worth remembering.

The idea is that the more outside sites you link to, the less PR that is passed onto your internal pages. That indirectly reduces your PR because since your internal pages have less PR they don’t pass as much PR onto your home page.

Some do actually believe that you drain your own PR reserves by linking out as well. The theory that a given page can pass on a certain value that is divided among its links is a bit more plausible, but even so, internal links can’t account for very much where pagerank is concerned. It goes against the concept of a link being an authority vouching for another. Google engineers are smart enough to realize that an authority vouching for itself is to be expected and not worth much…

I think mixed opinions are the only constant. That’s why “SEO goofballism” strikes me as so humorous. These debates, the same ones, have been going on for years. We all do what works for us.

I, for one, think decent content, relevant links and well crafted pages is a good start, but it’s an ongoing experiment and likely always will be.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Last reply – Do what ever works for you. I have got great rankings doing my thing regardless of what anyone says. I’m gonna stay with what is working for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“but even so, internal links can’t account for very much where pagerank is concerned.”

They are absolutely vital. They are by far more important than any external links, except the single most important external link you have.

“It goes against the concept of a link being an authority vouching for another.”

On the contrary, it is absolutely central to the authority concept. Linking is page to page, not to a site, so if your main page gets a link from CNN or whereever, that is usually (but not always) an affirmation of the content of your domain, not just the linked to page. You then link to your internal pages, passing along part of the CNN vote to the internal pages you consider important.

“Google engineers are smart enough to realize that an authority vouching for itself is to be expected and not worth much…”

Not true. They are smart enough to understand that the authority of alberteinstein.com doesn’t end at its main page. External links/PR just tell the search engine that you deserve to cast votes for yourself (and others).

Lots of webmasters squander pagerank because they don’t understand that PR makes no distinction at all between “external” and “internal”. A link is a link (in terms of PR).

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)