UK Regulators Clamping Down on Dodgy Bonus Offers
Gaming and business regulators in the UK are clamping down on the online gambling industry’s longtime relationship with dodgy bonus offers that require exponential play and trap player funds in an inescapable purgatory. The move is described in a press release from the UK Government about online gambling as, “…a major overhaul of how the gambling industry operates online, three leading operators.”
Two government agencies, the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) and the Competitive Markets Authority (CMA), say they’re responding to an uptick in consumer complaints about the utter impossibility of actually earning the bonuses that operators tout in their promotions. In particular, the regulators are asking operators to implement the following changes:
- Players won’t be required to play multiple times before they can withdraw their own money
- Gambling firms must ensure that any restrictions on gameplay are made clear to players, and cannot rely on vague terms to confiscate players’ money
- Gambling firms must not oblige players to take part in publicity.
Several large operators including William Hill, Ladbrokes and PT Entertainment have all expressed their willingness to embrace the new bonus offer standards.
The moves are being implemented by the CMA, but have the full support of the UKGC. In a statement to the press, UKGC Executive Director, Sarah Gardner voiced her support for the CMA saying:
We back the action taken by the CMA today. Gambling firms must treat their customers fairly and not attach unreasonable terms and conditions to their promotions and offers.
Most of the new changes to the promotional code must be implemented by operators by the end of the month.
- UK Gaming Regulators Clamping Down on Online Gambling Operators
- UKGC Comes Down on Broadway Gaming for Misleading Bonus Offer
- UK Gambling Regulators Ready to Drop the Hammer on Ad Code Violators
- UK Gaming Regulators Slap Stan James Online with £80,000 Penalty
- Lasseters Casino offers players new sign-up bonus